Oct 24, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
Things aren’t looking good for regular fans hoping to score tickets to the Winter Classic in Philly in January. Sam Carchidi of Philly.com reports that while season ticket holders are in good shape to get tickets (as long as they buy tickets for the Winter Classic, alumni game, and an AHL game) the regular common fan out there isn’t likely to get tickets through regular means.
The issue here is that they’ve got two sets of season ticket holders to try and make happy in the Flyers and Rangers. That makes things hard enough as it is. There’s also the insane cost to get tickets. Carchidi reports that season ticket holders had to spend anywhere between $79-$349 per seat with a limit of two seats. High cost and a minimal cap on the number seats makes it tough for those fans that wanted to bring more than one person along for the fun.
Now fans have to turn to the secondary market online to get tickets and the costs there are significantly higher. That’s not good for the fans nor their wallets. The Winter Classic is a great event and even though there are twice as many seats to be had for this event than at a normal Flyers or Rangers game, plenty of fans are going to be left out in the cold.
The NHL is limited by what they can do to make this easier on the fans, but doing a little something more would be better than making the whole process more frustrating.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)