Oct 24, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
Things aren’t looking good for regular fans hoping to score tickets to the Winter Classic in Philly in January. Sam Carchidi of Philly.com reports that while season ticket holders are in good shape to get tickets (as long as they buy tickets for the Winter Classic, alumni game, and an AHL game) the regular common fan out there isn’t likely to get tickets through regular means.
The issue here is that they’ve got two sets of season ticket holders to try and make happy in the Flyers and Rangers. That makes things hard enough as it is. There’s also the insane cost to get tickets. Carchidi reports that season ticket holders had to spend anywhere between $79-$349 per seat with a limit of two seats. High cost and a minimal cap on the number seats makes it tough for those fans that wanted to bring more than one person along for the fun.
Now fans have to turn to the secondary market online to get tickets and the costs there are significantly higher. That’s not good for the fans nor their wallets. The Winter Classic is a great event and even though there are twice as many seats to be had for this event than at a normal Flyers or Rangers game, plenty of fans are going to be left out in the cold.
The NHL is limited by what they can do to make this easier on the fans, but doing a little something more would be better than making the whole process more frustrating.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)