Oct 24, 2011, 11:09 AM EST
Things aren’t looking good for regular fans hoping to score tickets to the Winter Classic in Philly in January. Sam Carchidi of Philly.com reports that while season ticket holders are in good shape to get tickets (as long as they buy tickets for the Winter Classic, alumni game, and an AHL game) the regular common fan out there isn’t likely to get tickets through regular means.
The issue here is that they’ve got two sets of season ticket holders to try and make happy in the Flyers and Rangers. That makes things hard enough as it is. There’s also the insane cost to get tickets. Carchidi reports that season ticket holders had to spend anywhere between $79-$349 per seat with a limit of two seats. High cost and a minimal cap on the number seats makes it tough for those fans that wanted to bring more than one person along for the fun.
Now fans have to turn to the secondary market online to get tickets and the costs there are significantly higher. That’s not good for the fans nor their wallets. The Winter Classic is a great event and even though there are twice as many seats to be had for this event than at a normal Flyers or Rangers game, plenty of fans are going to be left out in the cold.
The NHL is limited by what they can do to make this easier on the fans, but doing a little something more would be better than making the whole process more frustrating.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)