Oct 24, 2011, 11:09 AM EST
Things aren’t looking good for regular fans hoping to score tickets to the Winter Classic in Philly in January. Sam Carchidi of Philly.com reports that while season ticket holders are in good shape to get tickets (as long as they buy tickets for the Winter Classic, alumni game, and an AHL game) the regular common fan out there isn’t likely to get tickets through regular means.
The issue here is that they’ve got two sets of season ticket holders to try and make happy in the Flyers and Rangers. That makes things hard enough as it is. There’s also the insane cost to get tickets. Carchidi reports that season ticket holders had to spend anywhere between $79-$349 per seat with a limit of two seats. High cost and a minimal cap on the number seats makes it tough for those fans that wanted to bring more than one person along for the fun.
Now fans have to turn to the secondary market online to get tickets and the costs there are significantly higher. That’s not good for the fans nor their wallets. The Winter Classic is a great event and even though there are twice as many seats to be had for this event than at a normal Flyers or Rangers game, plenty of fans are going to be left out in the cold.
The NHL is limited by what they can do to make this easier on the fans, but doing a little something more would be better than making the whole process more frustrating.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)