Oct 24, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
It appears as if Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi will finally get to own an NHL team. Via Mike Heika at the Dallas Morning News, the league has confirmed there were no new bidders for the bankrupt Stars over the weekend.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly outlined the next steps in a statement.
“Now that the bidding deadline has been reached, we will continue our due diligence process and will proceed with the Board’s ownership transaction review process,” Daly said. “We also will work with the courts in the continued hope of bringing this matter to a successful and expeditious resolution.”
The next big date in the proceedings is Nov. 23, when a Delaware bankruptcy court could approve the sale.
This isn’t Gaglardi’s first attempt at owning an NHL franchise. In 2003, he teamed up with Vancouver businessmen Ryan Beedie and Francesco Aquilini in hopes of purchasing the Canucks. Aquilini eventually purchased a half stake in the team, leaving Gaglardi and Beedie on the sidelines.
Gaglardi and Beedie sued Aquilini, but the courts ruled in Aquilini’s favor.
If Gaglardi is successful in his bid for the Stars (and it appears he will be), it will be interesting to see how he runs the team. Will it be for business or ego? Because you know he’d love to get his revenge by winning the Stanley Cup before the Canucks do.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)