Oct 24, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
It appears as if Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi will finally get to own an NHL team. Via Mike Heika at the Dallas Morning News, the league has confirmed there were no new bidders for the bankrupt Stars over the weekend.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly outlined the next steps in a statement.
“Now that the bidding deadline has been reached, we will continue our due diligence process and will proceed with the Board’s ownership transaction review process,” Daly said. “We also will work with the courts in the continued hope of bringing this matter to a successful and expeditious resolution.”
The next big date in the proceedings is Nov. 23, when a Delaware bankruptcy court could approve the sale.
This isn’t Gaglardi’s first attempt at owning an NHL franchise. In 2003, he teamed up with Vancouver businessmen Ryan Beedie and Francesco Aquilini in hopes of purchasing the Canucks. Aquilini eventually purchased a half stake in the team, leaving Gaglardi and Beedie on the sidelines.
Gaglardi and Beedie sued Aquilini, but the courts ruled in Aquilini’s favor.
If Gaglardi is successful in his bid for the Stars (and it appears he will be), it will be interesting to see how he runs the team. Will it be for business or ego? Because you know he’d love to get his revenge by winning the Stanley Cup before the Canucks do.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 46
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 21
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)