Oct 24, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
David Booth got to meet the Vancouver media today. Suffice to say the experience was a little different than what he was used to in Florida, where the local hockey team isn’t an obsession that leads to police cars being set on fire.
Here’s an audio clip of Booth’s first scrum in Vancouver, courtesy Team 1040.
Much of the questioning from reporters dealt with the subject of moving from a hockey market like Florida to a hockey market like Vancouver.
When asked what it was like, Booth replied, “I don’t know. I don’t know what it’s like. This is my first time in this situation. My whole career’s been in Florida, and you’re right, it’s polar opposites.”
Big things are expected of Booth, who along with Steven Reinprecht and a third-round pick, was dealt from the Panthers to the Canucks Saturday in exchange for veterans Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
On paper, the 26-year-old appears to be a good fit on Vancouver’s second line, where the Canucks have been in need of a powerful winger to skate with center Ryan Kesler. The two Michigan natives grew up playing hockey together and Booth says he’s looking forward to the opportunity to team up once again.
Booth said he had “no clue” the Panthers were going to trade him and confirmed there were some tears shed when he learned he’d been dealt to the Canucks.
“It was an emotional time,” he said. “I live with my brother down in Florida and it’s hard to leave him. He’s one year younger than me, I grew up my whole life with him. It was tough to say good-bye, and it’s going to be tough for a while. I’m very close to my family.
Booth also acknowledged he has to play better than he started in Florida, where he had just one assist in six games.
Booth will wear No. 7 for the Canucks, joining the likes of Brendan Morrison, Cliff Ronning, Barry Pederson, Dan Quinn and Gary Lupul who’ve worn the lucky number for the franchise.
(Image courtesy @ann1130sports)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)