Oct 24, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
David Booth got to meet the Vancouver media today. Suffice to say the experience was a little different than what he was used to in Florida, where the local hockey team isn’t an obsession that leads to police cars being set on fire.
Here’s an audio clip of Booth’s first scrum in Vancouver, courtesy Team 1040.
Much of the questioning from reporters dealt with the subject of moving from a hockey market like Florida to a hockey market like Vancouver.
When asked what it was like, Booth replied, “I don’t know. I don’t know what it’s like. This is my first time in this situation. My whole career’s been in Florida, and you’re right, it’s polar opposites.”
Big things are expected of Booth, who along with Steven Reinprecht and a third-round pick, was dealt from the Panthers to the Canucks Saturday in exchange for veterans Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
On paper, the 26-year-old appears to be a good fit on Vancouver’s second line, where the Canucks have been in need of a powerful winger to skate with center Ryan Kesler. The two Michigan natives grew up playing hockey together and Booth says he’s looking forward to the opportunity to team up once again.
Booth said he had “no clue” the Panthers were going to trade him and confirmed there were some tears shed when he learned he’d been dealt to the Canucks.
“It was an emotional time,” he said. “I live with my brother down in Florida and it’s hard to leave him. He’s one year younger than me, I grew up my whole life with him. It was tough to say good-bye, and it’s going to be tough for a while. I’m very close to my family.
Booth also acknowledged he has to play better than he started in Florida, where he had just one assist in six games.
Booth will wear No. 7 for the Canucks, joining the likes of Brendan Morrison, Cliff Ronning, Barry Pederson, Dan Quinn and Gary Lupul who’ve worn the lucky number for the franchise.
(Image courtesy @ann1130sports)
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)