Oct 24, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
David Booth got to meet the Vancouver media today. Suffice to say the experience was a little different than what he was used to in Florida, where the local hockey team isn’t an obsession that leads to police cars being set on fire.
Here’s an audio clip of Booth’s first scrum in Vancouver, courtesy Team 1040.
Much of the questioning from reporters dealt with the subject of moving from a hockey market like Florida to a hockey market like Vancouver.
When asked what it was like, Booth replied, “I don’t know. I don’t know what it’s like. This is my first time in this situation. My whole career’s been in Florida, and you’re right, it’s polar opposites.”
Big things are expected of Booth, who along with Steven Reinprecht and a third-round pick, was dealt from the Panthers to the Canucks Saturday in exchange for veterans Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
On paper, the 26-year-old appears to be a good fit on Vancouver’s second line, where the Canucks have been in need of a powerful winger to skate with center Ryan Kesler. The two Michigan natives grew up playing hockey together and Booth says he’s looking forward to the opportunity to team up once again.
Booth said he had “no clue” the Panthers were going to trade him and confirmed there were some tears shed when he learned he’d been dealt to the Canucks.
“It was an emotional time,” he said. “I live with my brother down in Florida and it’s hard to leave him. He’s one year younger than me, I grew up my whole life with him. It was tough to say good-bye, and it’s going to be tough for a while. I’m very close to my family.
Booth also acknowledged he has to play better than he started in Florida, where he had just one assist in six games.
Booth will wear No. 7 for the Canucks, joining the likes of Brendan Morrison, Cliff Ronning, Barry Pederson, Dan Quinn and Gary Lupul who’ve worn the lucky number for the franchise.
(Image courtesy @ann1130sports)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 36
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 34
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 28
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)