Oct 24, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
Mike Brophy reports that Chris Pronger is “home and resting” after what looked like a very scary eye injury tonight. He left the ice immediately after taking a high stick to the face, letting out a frightening scream that was audible during the telecast. Brophy indicates that doctors told Pronger he “should be OK” after that scare.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Pronger will be on bed rest for three days but could return in as soon as 10 days. Pronger is dealing with swelling around that eye, but again, it seems like he avoided a major problem. (Panaccio reports that Pronger will wear a face shield, at least to start.)
Naturally, this close call will probably bring the mandatory visors debate back to hockey forums. Sooner or later another player is going to have his career cut short because of a scary injury, but it doesn’t seem like many players are taking note of these incidents unless it affects them directly.
Either way, it’s a relief to hear that Pronger is OK in the big picture, but we’ll have to wait and see if that diagnosis is a little bit optimistic. Even a player as tough as Pronger would seemingly need more time to deal with what looked like a very dangerous moment, but initial reports are very positive. Stay tuned for updates.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 2
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 30
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 24
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 28
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)