Oct 24, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
Mike Brophy reports that Chris Pronger is “home and resting” after what looked like a very scary eye injury tonight. He left the ice immediately after taking a high stick to the face, letting out a frightening scream that was audible during the telecast. Brophy indicates that doctors told Pronger he “should be OK” after that scare.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that Pronger will be on bed rest for three days but could return in as soon as 10 days. Pronger is dealing with swelling around that eye, but again, it seems like he avoided a major problem. (Panaccio reports that Pronger will wear a face shield, at least to start.)
Naturally, this close call will probably bring the mandatory visors debate back to hockey forums. Sooner or later another player is going to have his career cut short because of a scary injury, but it doesn’t seem like many players are taking note of these incidents unless it affects them directly.
Either way, it’s a relief to hear that Pronger is OK in the big picture, but we’ll have to wait and see if that diagnosis is a little bit optimistic. Even a player as tough as Pronger would seemingly need more time to deal with what looked like a very dangerous moment, but initial reports are very positive. Stay tuned for updates.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)