Oct 24, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
Peter Budaj will start in goal for the Canadiens when they face the Florida Panthers tonight in Montreal. For Budaj, it will be his first start of the season after Carey Price got the nod in the first eight games.
If Budaj plays well and the Habs win, coach Jacques Martin will likely live to coach another day in Montreal. But if things go sideways and the Canadiens (1-4-2) start the season winless in their first five home games, it could very well be the last straw. And if you think that’s being alarmist, try picturing the scene at the Bell Center in the closing minutes of a loss to the Panthers. Now imagine you’re GM Pierre Gauthier witnessing that scene. How’s your resolve in that situation?
Budaj’s coming off a poor season with the Colorado Avalanche that resulted in the 29-year-old signing a two-year contract worth $2.3 million with the Canadiens on July 1.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic