Oct 24, 2011, 1:39 PM EDT
Peter Budaj will start in goal for the Canadiens when they face the Florida Panthers tonight in Montreal. For Budaj, it will be his first start of the season after Carey Price got the nod in the first eight games.
If Budaj plays well and the Habs win, coach Jacques Martin will likely live to coach another day in Montreal. But if things go sideways and the Canadiens (1-4-2) start the season winless in their first five home games, it could very well be the last straw. And if you think that’s being alarmist, try picturing the scene at the Bell Center in the closing minutes of a loss to the Panthers. Now imagine you’re GM Pierre Gauthier witnessing that scene. How’s your resolve in that situation?
Budaj’s coming off a poor season with the Colorado Avalanche that resulted in the 29-year-old signing a two-year contract worth $2.3 million with the Canadiens on July 1.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)