Oct 24, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
Last season was apparently just a warm-up for how to deal with a ton of injuries for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Bob McKenzie tweeted this morning that defenseman Zbynek Michalek will join the rest of the big name Pens on the injured list with a broken finger. McKenzie says that the injury will put Michalek out of action for a month. If there’s a silver lining here for the Penguins it’s that they just got Brooks Orpik back to the lineup recently. At least the Pens aren’t scrambling to replace both of them.
On the downside, there’s everything else about this. Michalek was playing great as a two-way defenseman for the Pens. While Kris Letang is all offense and Orpik is all defense, Michalek and Paul Martin split the difference between the two of them. Now it’s up to Deryk Engelland and Ben Lovejoy to continue filling in.
Now the Penguins will have to examine if perhaps CONSOL Energy Center was built on a “Poltergeist”-like Indian burial ground thanks to all the injuries they’ve dealt with. Perhaps sending a priest over to the place to bless it wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
Update (12:45 p.m.): Dan Bylsma confirms the injury saying Michalek will be out 4-6 weeks.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)