Oct 24, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
Last season was apparently just a warm-up for how to deal with a ton of injuries for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Bob McKenzie tweeted this morning that defenseman Zbynek Michalek will join the rest of the big name Pens on the injured list with a broken finger. McKenzie says that the injury will put Michalek out of action for a month. If there’s a silver lining here for the Penguins it’s that they just got Brooks Orpik back to the lineup recently. At least the Pens aren’t scrambling to replace both of them.
On the downside, there’s everything else about this. Michalek was playing great as a two-way defenseman for the Pens. While Kris Letang is all offense and Orpik is all defense, Michalek and Paul Martin split the difference between the two of them. Now it’s up to Deryk Engelland and Ben Lovejoy to continue filling in.
Now the Penguins will have to examine if perhaps CONSOL Energy Center was built on a “Poltergeist”-like Indian burial ground thanks to all the injuries they’ve dealt with. Perhaps sending a priest over to the place to bless it wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
Update (12:45 p.m.): Dan Bylsma confirms the injury saying Michalek will be out 4-6 weeks.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)