Oct 24, 2011, 9:43 AM EST
Last season was apparently just a warm-up for how to deal with a ton of injuries for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Bob McKenzie tweeted this morning that defenseman Zbynek Michalek will join the rest of the big name Pens on the injured list with a broken finger. McKenzie says that the injury will put Michalek out of action for a month. If there’s a silver lining here for the Penguins it’s that they just got Brooks Orpik back to the lineup recently. At least the Pens aren’t scrambling to replace both of them.
On the downside, there’s everything else about this. Michalek was playing great as a two-way defenseman for the Pens. While Kris Letang is all offense and Orpik is all defense, Michalek and Paul Martin split the difference between the two of them. Now it’s up to Deryk Engelland and Ben Lovejoy to continue filling in.
Now the Penguins will have to examine if perhaps CONSOL Energy Center was built on a “Poltergeist”-like Indian burial ground thanks to all the injuries they’ve dealt with. Perhaps sending a priest over to the place to bless it wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
Update (12:45 p.m.): Dan Bylsma confirms the injury saying Michalek will be out 4-6 weeks.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)