Oct 24, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
Last season was apparently just a warm-up for how to deal with a ton of injuries for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Bob McKenzie tweeted this morning that defenseman Zbynek Michalek will join the rest of the big name Pens on the injured list with a broken finger. McKenzie says that the injury will put Michalek out of action for a month. If there’s a silver lining here for the Penguins it’s that they just got Brooks Orpik back to the lineup recently. At least the Pens aren’t scrambling to replace both of them.
On the downside, there’s everything else about this. Michalek was playing great as a two-way defenseman for the Pens. While Kris Letang is all offense and Orpik is all defense, Michalek and Paul Martin split the difference between the two of them. Now it’s up to Deryk Engelland and Ben Lovejoy to continue filling in.
Now the Penguins will have to examine if perhaps CONSOL Energy Center was built on a “Poltergeist”-like Indian burial ground thanks to all the injuries they’ve dealt with. Perhaps sending a priest over to the place to bless it wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
Update (12:45 p.m.): Dan Bylsma confirms the injury saying Michalek will be out 4-6 weeks.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)