Oct 24, 2011, 11:54 AM EDT
While the Habs are floundering to start the year and the cries for coach Jacques Martin to suffer for those shortcomings grow louder by the day, help is coming for the ailing Canadiens. While Montreal has been dealing with injuries to three of their starting defensemen, they’ll be getting some major reinforcements back this week starting tonight.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Jaroslav Spacek will be back in the lineup tonight against Florida meaning Alexei Emelin gets a seat in the press box. Emelin is one of three mostly inexperienced blue liners that have been pressed into action due to injury. With Yannick Weber and Rafael Diaz also in the lineup, they’d both better play their tails off tonight because one of them may be coming out of the lineup later in the week.
Long injured alternate captain Andrei Markov is also slated to return to action later in the week and for Montreal, he’s the rock on the blue line they need to settle things down. Markov’s two-way play on defense makes him one of their most valuable players when he’s healthy. Of course staying healthy has been his major issue the last two seasons.
If Markov can come back and play the way he used to, Montreal’s issues in stopping opponents from generating quality chances may come to an end. If Markov and Spacek can contribute like normal, the Canadiens’ woes may soon be at an end and Jacques Martin can get the ship righted.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)