Oct 24, 2011, 11:54 AM EST
While the Habs are floundering to start the year and the cries for coach Jacques Martin to suffer for those shortcomings grow louder by the day, help is coming for the ailing Canadiens. While Montreal has been dealing with injuries to three of their starting defensemen, they’ll be getting some major reinforcements back this week starting tonight.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Jaroslav Spacek will be back in the lineup tonight against Florida meaning Alexei Emelin gets a seat in the press box. Emelin is one of three mostly inexperienced blue liners that have been pressed into action due to injury. With Yannick Weber and Rafael Diaz also in the lineup, they’d both better play their tails off tonight because one of them may be coming out of the lineup later in the week.
Long injured alternate captain Andrei Markov is also slated to return to action later in the week and for Montreal, he’s the rock on the blue line they need to settle things down. Markov’s two-way play on defense makes him one of their most valuable players when he’s healthy. Of course staying healthy has been his major issue the last two seasons.
If Markov can come back and play the way he used to, Montreal’s issues in stopping opponents from generating quality chances may come to an end. If Markov and Spacek can contribute like normal, the Canadiens’ woes may soon be at an end and Jacques Martin can get the ship righted.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)