Oct 24, 2011, 11:54 AM EST
While the Habs are floundering to start the year and the cries for coach Jacques Martin to suffer for those shortcomings grow louder by the day, help is coming for the ailing Canadiens. While Montreal has been dealing with injuries to three of their starting defensemen, they’ll be getting some major reinforcements back this week starting tonight.
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Jaroslav Spacek will be back in the lineup tonight against Florida meaning Alexei Emelin gets a seat in the press box. Emelin is one of three mostly inexperienced blue liners that have been pressed into action due to injury. With Yannick Weber and Rafael Diaz also in the lineup, they’d both better play their tails off tonight because one of them may be coming out of the lineup later in the week.
Long injured alternate captain Andrei Markov is also slated to return to action later in the week and for Montreal, he’s the rock on the blue line they need to settle things down. Markov’s two-way play on defense makes him one of their most valuable players when he’s healthy. Of course staying healthy has been his major issue the last two seasons.
If Markov can come back and play the way he used to, Montreal’s issues in stopping opponents from generating quality chances may come to an end. If Markov and Spacek can contribute like normal, the Canadiens’ woes may soon be at an end and Jacques Martin can get the ship righted.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)