Oct 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
If you had to bet your life on any player to pick a goalie apart one-on-one, who would it be?
My guess is a lot of people would pick a flashy, super-skilled Russian such as Pavel Datsyuk or Alex Ovechkin. Others might volunteer “healthy” Sidney Crosby. Outside the box types might go with shootout stars such as Jussi Jokinen or Erik Christensen.
Here’s my vote for Martin St. Louis, though. The bite-sized superstar winger tends to get overshadowed by prototypical centers such as Steven Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier, yet the wondrous winger continues to lobotomize goalies on breakaways. This example was more broken play than breakaway, but it highlights just how hopeless a goalie is in a one-on-one situation with St. Louis.
Even an all-world goalie like Ryan Miller has no chance to stop him.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)