Oct 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
If you had to bet your life on any player to pick a goalie apart one-on-one, who would it be?
My guess is a lot of people would pick a flashy, super-skilled Russian such as Pavel Datsyuk or Alex Ovechkin. Others might volunteer “healthy” Sidney Crosby. Outside the box types might go with shootout stars such as Jussi Jokinen or Erik Christensen.
Here’s my vote for Martin St. Louis, though. The bite-sized superstar winger tends to get overshadowed by prototypical centers such as Steven Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier, yet the wondrous winger continues to lobotomize goalies on breakaways. This example was more broken play than breakaway, but it highlights just how hopeless a goalie is in a one-on-one situation with St. Louis.
Even an all-world goalie like Ryan Miller has no chance to stop him.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 7
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 36
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on