Oct 23, 2011, 1:42 PM EST
Ted Leonsis has learned his lesson. After lording over a wildly successful run of regular seasons, the Washington Capitals owner isn’t getting too excited at his team’s perfect 7-0-0 start. Today on his personal blog he advised fans not to get too excited either.
It is October.
It is not how you start – it is how you finish.
Enjoy the ride.
But don’t ever get too high with the highs and too low with the lows.
Everyone knows Washington hasn’t been able to get it done once the games start counting for something. The Caps went a combined 195-93-19-21 the past four regular seasons, winning the Southeast division each time, and – here’s the key stat – won a grand total of two playoff series.
The Caps are often placed in the same boat as the Sharks and Canucks, two other teams that have put together great regular seasons the past few years and are still looking for their first Stanley Cup titles in franchise history.
But at least San Jose and Vancouver have managed to escape the second round. At least their fans have felt real playoff excitement. Caps fans have only felt the excitement that comes with eliminating the New York Rangers.
Suffice to say there are more exciting feelings.
On the other hand, there’s nothing wrong with optimism. Washington is rolling, and with new additions like Tomas Vokoun, Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer and Roman Hamrlik, there’s plenty of reason to think things could be different this time.
No confidence in the goaltending? Vokoun.
Not enough grit? Ward and Brouwer.
Not enough…Roman Hamrlik? Hamrlik.
The Caps head out on a two-game road trip to Edmonton (Thursday) and Vancouver (Saturday). Eight of their next 11 will be away from the Verizon Center. We’ll see if the good times keep rolling. If they don’t, try not to freak out, OK Caps fans?
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 3
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54