Oct 23, 2011, 1:29 AM EDT
Some of you might not know who Jonathan Quick is just yet. We know how it goes with East Coast bias and how the Los Angeles Kings don’t usually get prime time action on TV, but if you’ve been keeping up, you know for sure who Jonathan Quick is and right now he’s the best goalie in the league.
It might sound like a wild claim to make with guys like Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Tim Thomas out there but what Quick is doing this so far this season shows that he’s forced his way into the conversation as one of the game’s elite goalies.
Tonight, Quick shutout the Dallas Stars 1-0, his third shutout in a row. He’s the first goalie since Columbus’ Steve Mason did that back in 2008. Quick also set a Kings shutout streak record as he’s kept opponents off the board for the last 188:10 breaking Rogie Vachon’s old team record of 185:55. Quick has played in six games this year and allowed five goals. He won his 100th career game on Thursday night.
Impressive. Most impressive.
Those kinds of skills and those kinds of numbers are stellar and rare and right now, there’s not another goalie playing on his level and he’s doing it seeing plenty of rubber as well. It’s too early to start handing out awards, but should Quick keep this kind of dominating play up, the Kings are going to go very far this season.
If you’re not watching the Kings yet, you might want to start because you could see a lot of them in the postseason.
- BREAKING: Kessel traded to the Penguins 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 4
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)