Oct 23, 2011, 1:29 AM EDT
Some of you might not know who Jonathan Quick is just yet. We know how it goes with East Coast bias and how the Los Angeles Kings don’t usually get prime time action on TV, but if you’ve been keeping up, you know for sure who Jonathan Quick is and right now he’s the best goalie in the league.
It might sound like a wild claim to make with guys like Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Tim Thomas out there but what Quick is doing this so far this season shows that he’s forced his way into the conversation as one of the game’s elite goalies.
Tonight, Quick shutout the Dallas Stars 1-0, his third shutout in a row. He’s the first goalie since Columbus’ Steve Mason did that back in 2008. Quick also set a Kings shutout streak record as he’s kept opponents off the board for the last 188:10 breaking Rogie Vachon’s old team record of 185:55. Quick has played in six games this year and allowed five goals. He won his 100th career game on Thursday night.
Impressive. Most impressive.
Those kinds of skills and those kinds of numbers are stellar and rare and right now, there’s not another goalie playing on his level and he’s doing it seeing plenty of rubber as well. It’s too early to start handing out awards, but should Quick keep this kind of dominating play up, the Kings are going to go very far this season.
If you’re not watching the Kings yet, you might want to start because you could see a lot of them in the postseason.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)