Oct 23, 2011, 1:29 AM EDT
Some of you might not know who Jonathan Quick is just yet. We know how it goes with East Coast bias and how the Los Angeles Kings don’t usually get prime time action on TV, but if you’ve been keeping up, you know for sure who Jonathan Quick is and right now he’s the best goalie in the league.
It might sound like a wild claim to make with guys like Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Tim Thomas out there but what Quick is doing this so far this season shows that he’s forced his way into the conversation as one of the game’s elite goalies.
Tonight, Quick shutout the Dallas Stars 1-0, his third shutout in a row. He’s the first goalie since Columbus’ Steve Mason did that back in 2008. Quick also set a Kings shutout streak record as he’s kept opponents off the board for the last 188:10 breaking Rogie Vachon’s old team record of 185:55. Quick has played in six games this year and allowed five goals. He won his 100th career game on Thursday night.
Impressive. Most impressive.
Those kinds of skills and those kinds of numbers are stellar and rare and right now, there’s not another goalie playing on his level and he’s doing it seeing plenty of rubber as well. It’s too early to start handing out awards, but should Quick keep this kind of dominating play up, the Kings are going to go very far this season.
If you’re not watching the Kings yet, you might want to start because you could see a lot of them in the postseason.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5