Oct 23, 2011, 1:29 AM EST
Some of you might not know who Jonathan Quick is just yet. We know how it goes with East Coast bias and how the Los Angeles Kings don’t usually get prime time action on TV, but if you’ve been keeping up, you know for sure who Jonathan Quick is and right now he’s the best goalie in the league.
It might sound like a wild claim to make with guys like Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, and Tim Thomas out there but what Quick is doing this so far this season shows that he’s forced his way into the conversation as one of the game’s elite goalies.
Tonight, Quick shutout the Dallas Stars 1-0, his third shutout in a row. He’s the first goalie since Columbus’ Steve Mason did that back in 2008. Quick also set a Kings shutout streak record as he’s kept opponents off the board for the last 188:10 breaking Rogie Vachon’s old team record of 185:55. Quick has played in six games this year and allowed five goals. He won his 100th career game on Thursday night.
Impressive. Most impressive.
Those kinds of skills and those kinds of numbers are stellar and rare and right now, there’s not another goalie playing on his level and he’s doing it seeing plenty of rubber as well. It’s too early to start handing out awards, but should Quick keep this kind of dominating play up, the Kings are going to go very far this season.
If you’re not watching the Kings yet, you might want to start because you could see a lot of them in the postseason.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (151)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)