Oct 23, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens can’t score goals, they can’t defend well enough, they can’t do anything right and they play games in one of the most heated hockey markets in the league. Failure is not an option in Montreal and coach Jacques Martin is serving up a lot of it. With so much hope heading into the season, the Canadiens can’t get out of their own way and Martin is on the hot seat.
The Sporting News’ Jesse Spector reports that sources are saying that Martin could have just a few games to get things turned around or else he’ll be out of a job. Is that the right move for Montreal to make if the struggles continue? Signs point to yes.
The Habs have plenty of scoring talent in Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Erik Cole. Cole has been kept off the team’s power play units and Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec are the guys leading their offense. While the Habs’ defense is banged up with a host of injuries, including a lingering knee ailment to Andrei Markov, they’ve done nothing to help out Carey Price.
Martin’s notoriously dry defense-oriented system has frustrated Canadiens fans over the last few seasons, and now that the team has fallen on hard times early, including not yet winning a game at home, the torches and pitchforks are out in force and for good reason.
The Habs have the talent to be a playoff team and to do well in the postseason, but if they’ve tuned out Martin and want to let loose, the Montreal organization may rue the days they let coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller get away from them for greener pastures.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)