Oct 23, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens can’t score goals, they can’t defend well enough, they can’t do anything right and they play games in one of the most heated hockey markets in the league. Failure is not an option in Montreal and coach Jacques Martin is serving up a lot of it. With so much hope heading into the season, the Canadiens can’t get out of their own way and Martin is on the hot seat.
The Sporting News’ Jesse Spector reports that sources are saying that Martin could have just a few games to get things turned around or else he’ll be out of a job. Is that the right move for Montreal to make if the struggles continue? Signs point to yes.
The Habs have plenty of scoring talent in Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Erik Cole. Cole has been kept off the team’s power play units and Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec are the guys leading their offense. While the Habs’ defense is banged up with a host of injuries, including a lingering knee ailment to Andrei Markov, they’ve done nothing to help out Carey Price.
Martin’s notoriously dry defense-oriented system has frustrated Canadiens fans over the last few seasons, and now that the team has fallen on hard times early, including not yet winning a game at home, the torches and pitchforks are out in force and for good reason.
The Habs have the talent to be a playoff team and to do well in the postseason, but if they’ve tuned out Martin and want to let loose, the Montreal organization may rue the days they let coaches Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller get away from them for greener pastures.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 4
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 11
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13