Oct 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
If you’re worried about the NHL banning fighting, don’t be.
At least, not yet.
According to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, there’s “no desire” among NHL general managers to outlaw fighting, despite a push from certain members of the media to do so.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms the lack of interest among team bosses in taking scraps out of the game.
“I don’t think it’s on the front-burner with GMs in terms of issues we need to discuss,” said Daly. “It’s obviously something we look at and are always monitoring and maybe at some point it will be raised in a GM meeting.”
Even Red Wings GM Ken Holland wants fighting to remain part of hockey, which presumably is like Switzerland coming out in favor of war.
“I’m not against fighting – I think it has a place in the game,” Holland said. “I’ve never heard of anyone pushing to eliminate it.”
Francis also references a recent study by Georgetown University doctor David Milzman that concluded fighting isn’t a serious health risk for NHL players. After all, punches on the ice don’t have nearly the power that punches on the ground do.
“When you’re on ice,” Milzman said, “you get all the power off your front foot. Whether you are holding a jersey or not holding a jersey, you just don’t get the transfer of power because your front foot is moving and the thing you are hitting is moving.“
“The doctor makes a good point,” Jay Beagle didn’t say.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)