Oct 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
If you’re worried about the NHL banning fighting, don’t be.
At least, not yet.
According to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, there’s “no desire” among NHL general managers to outlaw fighting, despite a push from certain members of the media to do so.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms the lack of interest among team bosses in taking scraps out of the game.
“I don’t think it’s on the front-burner with GMs in terms of issues we need to discuss,” said Daly. “It’s obviously something we look at and are always monitoring and maybe at some point it will be raised in a GM meeting.”
Even Red Wings GM Ken Holland wants fighting to remain part of hockey, which presumably is like Switzerland coming out in favor of war.
“I’m not against fighting – I think it has a place in the game,” Holland said. “I’ve never heard of anyone pushing to eliminate it.”
Francis also references a recent study by Georgetown University doctor David Milzman that concluded fighting isn’t a serious health risk for NHL players. After all, punches on the ice don’t have nearly the power that punches on the ground do.
“When you’re on ice,” Milzman said, “you get all the power off your front foot. Whether you are holding a jersey or not holding a jersey, you just don’t get the transfer of power because your front foot is moving and the thing you are hitting is moving.“
“The doctor makes a good point,” Jay Beagle didn’t say.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 29
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)