Oct 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
If you’re worried about the NHL banning fighting, don’t be.
At least, not yet.
According to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, there’s “no desire” among NHL general managers to outlaw fighting, despite a push from certain members of the media to do so.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms the lack of interest among team bosses in taking scraps out of the game.
“I don’t think it’s on the front-burner with GMs in terms of issues we need to discuss,” said Daly. “It’s obviously something we look at and are always monitoring and maybe at some point it will be raised in a GM meeting.”
Even Red Wings GM Ken Holland wants fighting to remain part of hockey, which presumably is like Switzerland coming out in favor of war.
“I’m not against fighting – I think it has a place in the game,” Holland said. “I’ve never heard of anyone pushing to eliminate it.”
Francis also references a recent study by Georgetown University doctor David Milzman that concluded fighting isn’t a serious health risk for NHL players. After all, punches on the ice don’t have nearly the power that punches on the ground do.
“When you’re on ice,” Milzman said, “you get all the power off your front foot. Whether you are holding a jersey or not holding a jersey, you just don’t get the transfer of power because your front foot is moving and the thing you are hitting is moving.“
“The doctor makes a good point,” Jay Beagle didn’t say.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)