Oct 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
If you’re worried about the NHL banning fighting, don’t be.
At least, not yet.
According to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, there’s “no desire” among NHL general managers to outlaw fighting, despite a push from certain members of the media to do so.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms the lack of interest among team bosses in taking scraps out of the game.
“I don’t think it’s on the front-burner with GMs in terms of issues we need to discuss,” said Daly. “It’s obviously something we look at and are always monitoring and maybe at some point it will be raised in a GM meeting.”
Even Red Wings GM Ken Holland wants fighting to remain part of hockey, which presumably is like Switzerland coming out in favor of war.
“I’m not against fighting – I think it has a place in the game,” Holland said. “I’ve never heard of anyone pushing to eliminate it.”
Francis also references a recent study by Georgetown University doctor David Milzman that concluded fighting isn’t a serious health risk for NHL players. After all, punches on the ice don’t have nearly the power that punches on the ground do.
“When you’re on ice,” Milzman said, “you get all the power off your front foot. Whether you are holding a jersey or not holding a jersey, you just don’t get the transfer of power because your front foot is moving and the thing you are hitting is moving.“
“The doctor makes a good point,” Jay Beagle didn’t say.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)