Oct 23, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
Booth, who was dealt to Vancouver yesterday in exchange for Marco Sturm and Mikael Samuelsson, was quite distraught upon learning the news he was going to the Canucks — he reportedly broke down in tears before leaving his ex-mates a farewell message on the dressing room white board.
Two thoughts on the matter:
1) Booth’s lived in Florida since 2006 and played all 309 of his NHL games with the Panthers organization, so being upset is understandable. He inked a six-year, $25.5-million deal just two years ago and when you sign that kind of deal, you expect to be with that team for a long time — not to be traded for a couple expiring contracts two years later. That said, there have been a few regime changes since Booth signed. The GM that inked him, Jacques Martin, resigned four months later. The first GM to inherit Booth’s contract, Randy Sexton, lasted one season. Booth also had three coaches during his time in Florida (Martin, Peter DeBoer and Kevin Dineen). Regime changes and honoring contracts often don’t mix, something Booth found out yesterday.
2) Booth had to know the trade was a possibility, even with a long-term contract that suggested “franchise cornerstone.” Florida’s traded other cornerstone guys and Dale Tallon’s been extremely aggressive in re-shaping the organization. Players shipped out during Booth’s tenure include Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Seidenberg, Keith Ballard, Nathan Horton and Michael Frolik — the last three dealt by Tallon in a nine-month span.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 0
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)