Oct 23, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT
There were mixed emotions from the St. Louis Blues following their 4-2 win over Philadelphia last night. On the positive tip, they won their second straight and got back to .500 for the year. On the negative, they lost captain David Backes to an apparent shoulder injury after he got nailed by Chris Pronger:
Backes left the game immediately and did not return, though the St. Louis Post-Dispatch noted he “wasn’t wearing any sort of apparatus on his shoulder afterward.” Still, the injury sent waves through the Blues dressing room — alternate captain Jamie Langenbrunner said it was “definitely tough” watching Backes leave the contest.
Some good news for the Blues this morning, though. According to Norm Sanders of the Belleville News Democrat, Blues head coach Davis Payne said, “[Backes] is feeling better this morning and that’s positive for us. Beyond that, we’re going to have to wait until the whole thing shakes out.”
Having recently completed a course in Coachspeak 101, “wait until the whole thing shakes out” means “we’ll reserve further judgment until the completion of medical tests and evaluations.” We’re here to help, folks.
Other notes from last night’s game:
– Payne benched TJ Oshie for the entire second period, which is odd considering Oshie scored his first goal of the season midway through the opening frame. No reason given for the move (though it’s been suggested a late-period turnover was the cause) as Payne called it an “in-game decision” while Oshie went the “no comment” route postgame.
– Brian Elliott started and won his second consecutive contest in goal while Jaroslav Halak, the subject of our Wednesday Wake-Up Call, watched from the bench. This situation really bears watching now as Payne offered a glowing review of Elliott’s play.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 2
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 7
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 108
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7