Oct 22, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
If coaches’ doghouses literally existed, then John Tortorella’s would be the size of Oprah’s guesthouse. The fiery New York Rangers head coach expects his players to match his intensity, so when a floater doesn’t fit that Ryan Callahan mold, hilarious things tend to happen.
“We can’t get him out of the tub,” Tortorella said.
Asked whether that meant Wolski was getting hot-tub treatment for the groin, Tortorella said: “I guess.”
(Am I the only one who pictured Wolski playing Eddie Murphy as James Brown after reading that quote? Yeah, probably.)
Considering the acerbic quote, it shouldn’t be too surprising that Tortorella decided to make Wolski a healthy scratch for tonight’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. That being said, Wolski’s hefty $3.8 million salary cap hit provides easy fodder for anyone hoping to mock Glen Sather’s spending habits yet again.
Wolski seemed primed for the opportunity of his career on a line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, but groin issues have largely derailed that chance. Now it’s looking more and more like he’s another one of Sather’s Follies alongside Wade Redden, Chris Drury, Sean Avery and others.
On the bright side (probably for everyone involved), Wolski’s contract runs out after this season. We’ll see if he can get back in Tortorella’s good graces in the near future, but he’ll have to bring his work ethic above a “Jacuzzi” level for that to happen.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)