Oct 22, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
If coaches’ doghouses literally existed, then John Tortorella’s would be the size of Oprah’s guesthouse. The fiery New York Rangers head coach expects his players to match his intensity, so when a floater doesn’t fit that Ryan Callahan mold, hilarious things tend to happen.
“We can’t get him out of the tub,” Tortorella said.
Asked whether that meant Wolski was getting hot-tub treatment for the groin, Tortorella said: “I guess.”
(Am I the only one who pictured Wolski playing Eddie Murphy as James Brown after reading that quote? Yeah, probably.)
Considering the acerbic quote, it shouldn’t be too surprising that Tortorella decided to make Wolski a healthy scratch for tonight’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. That being said, Wolski’s hefty $3.8 million salary cap hit provides easy fodder for anyone hoping to mock Glen Sather’s spending habits yet again.
Wolski seemed primed for the opportunity of his career on a line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, but groin issues have largely derailed that chance. Now it’s looking more and more like he’s another one of Sather’s Follies alongside Wade Redden, Chris Drury, Sean Avery and others.
On the bright side (probably for everyone involved), Wolski’s contract runs out after this season. We’ll see if he can get back in Tortorella’s good graces in the near future, but he’ll have to bring his work ethic above a “Jacuzzi” level for that to happen.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)