Oct 22, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
If coaches’ doghouses literally existed, then John Tortorella’s would be the size of Oprah’s guesthouse. The fiery New York Rangers head coach expects his players to match his intensity, so when a floater doesn’t fit that Ryan Callahan mold, hilarious things tend to happen.
“We can’t get him out of the tub,” Tortorella said.
Asked whether that meant Wolski was getting hot-tub treatment for the groin, Tortorella said: “I guess.”
(Am I the only one who pictured Wolski playing Eddie Murphy as James Brown after reading that quote? Yeah, probably.)
Considering the acerbic quote, it shouldn’t be too surprising that Tortorella decided to make Wolski a healthy scratch for tonight’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. That being said, Wolski’s hefty $3.8 million salary cap hit provides easy fodder for anyone hoping to mock Glen Sather’s spending habits yet again.
Wolski seemed primed for the opportunity of his career on a line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik, but groin issues have largely derailed that chance. Now it’s looking more and more like he’s another one of Sather’s Follies alongside Wade Redden, Chris Drury, Sean Avery and others.
On the bright side (probably for everyone involved), Wolski’s contract runs out after this season. We’ll see if he can get back in Tortorella’s good graces in the near future, but he’ll have to bring his work ethic above a “Jacuzzi” level for that to happen.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 3
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)