Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t just suffer their seventh loss of the season against the Red Wings last night – Detroit just ripped them apart. Feel free to choose from Darren Helm’s hit on Radek Martinek, Johan Franzen‘s two opening goals or Jonathan Ericsson bullying Derek Dorsett (pictured) as your go-to symbol of that ugly night for Columbus.
When you’re 0-6-1, it’s probably tough to inject the usual “We gave 100 percent” platitudes into your post-game comments. To the Blue Jackets’ credit, they showed an adequate amount of disappointment with themselves last night, as you can see from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Someone — a young guy, an old guy, whoever — somebody has to grab a hold of this and take charge and get us out of this,” Dorsett said. “I’m beside myself. I never, ever thought we would be in this situation.”
Rick Nash criticized himself, and while he could do more, it seems unfair to point the finger at a point-per-game player (Nash has seven points in seven games). If you’re going to single anyone out, it probably has to be goalie Steve Mason, who lost all those games and registered an ugly .881 save percentage.
As head coach Scott Arniel said, the answer will need to come from somewhere in the Blue Jackets’ locker room either way. It wouldn’t hurt if those answers started pouring in tonight, either.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)