Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t just suffer their seventh loss of the season against the Red Wings last night – Detroit just ripped them apart. Feel free to choose from Darren Helm’s hit on Radek Martinek, Johan Franzen‘s two opening goals or Jonathan Ericsson bullying Derek Dorsett (pictured) as your go-to symbol of that ugly night for Columbus.
When you’re 0-6-1, it’s probably tough to inject the usual “We gave 100 percent” platitudes into your post-game comments. To the Blue Jackets’ credit, they showed an adequate amount of disappointment with themselves last night, as you can see from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Someone — a young guy, an old guy, whoever — somebody has to grab a hold of this and take charge and get us out of this,” Dorsett said. “I’m beside myself. I never, ever thought we would be in this situation.”
Rick Nash criticized himself, and while he could do more, it seems unfair to point the finger at a point-per-game player (Nash has seven points in seven games). If you’re going to single anyone out, it probably has to be goalie Steve Mason, who lost all those games and registered an ugly .881 save percentage.
As head coach Scott Arniel said, the answer will need to come from somewhere in the Blue Jackets’ locker room either way. It wouldn’t hurt if those answers started pouring in tonight, either.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)