Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t just suffer their seventh loss of the season against the Red Wings last night – Detroit just ripped them apart. Feel free to choose from Darren Helm’s hit on Radek Martinek, Johan Franzen‘s two opening goals or Jonathan Ericsson bullying Derek Dorsett (pictured) as your go-to symbol of that ugly night for Columbus.
When you’re 0-6-1, it’s probably tough to inject the usual “We gave 100 percent” platitudes into your post-game comments. To the Blue Jackets’ credit, they showed an adequate amount of disappointment with themselves last night, as you can see from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Someone — a young guy, an old guy, whoever — somebody has to grab a hold of this and take charge and get us out of this,” Dorsett said. “I’m beside myself. I never, ever thought we would be in this situation.”
Rick Nash criticized himself, and while he could do more, it seems unfair to point the finger at a point-per-game player (Nash has seven points in seven games). If you’re going to single anyone out, it probably has to be goalie Steve Mason, who lost all those games and registered an ugly .881 save percentage.
As head coach Scott Arniel said, the answer will need to come from somewhere in the Blue Jackets’ locker room either way. It wouldn’t hurt if those answers started pouring in tonight, either.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)