Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t just suffer their seventh loss of the season against the Red Wings last night – Detroit just ripped them apart. Feel free to choose from Darren Helm’s hit on Radek Martinek, Johan Franzen‘s two opening goals or Jonathan Ericsson bullying Derek Dorsett (pictured) as your go-to symbol of that ugly night for Columbus.
When you’re 0-6-1, it’s probably tough to inject the usual “We gave 100 percent” platitudes into your post-game comments. To the Blue Jackets’ credit, they showed an adequate amount of disappointment with themselves last night, as you can see from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Someone — a young guy, an old guy, whoever — somebody has to grab a hold of this and take charge and get us out of this,” Dorsett said. “I’m beside myself. I never, ever thought we would be in this situation.”
Rick Nash criticized himself, and while he could do more, it seems unfair to point the finger at a point-per-game player (Nash has seven points in seven games). If you’re going to single anyone out, it probably has to be goalie Steve Mason, who lost all those games and registered an ugly .881 save percentage.
As head coach Scott Arniel said, the answer will need to come from somewhere in the Blue Jackets’ locker room either way. It wouldn’t hurt if those answers started pouring in tonight, either.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)