Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t just suffer their seventh loss of the season against the Red Wings last night – Detroit just ripped them apart. Feel free to choose from Darren Helm’s hit on Radek Martinek, Johan Franzen‘s two opening goals or Jonathan Ericsson bullying Derek Dorsett (pictured) as your go-to symbol of that ugly night for Columbus.
When you’re 0-6-1, it’s probably tough to inject the usual “We gave 100 percent” platitudes into your post-game comments. To the Blue Jackets’ credit, they showed an adequate amount of disappointment with themselves last night, as you can see from Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Someone — a young guy, an old guy, whoever — somebody has to grab a hold of this and take charge and get us out of this,” Dorsett said. “I’m beside myself. I never, ever thought we would be in this situation.”
Rick Nash criticized himself, and while he could do more, it seems unfair to point the finger at a point-per-game player (Nash has seven points in seven games). If you’re going to single anyone out, it probably has to be goalie Steve Mason, who lost all those games and registered an ugly .881 save percentage.
As head coach Scott Arniel said, the answer will need to come from somewhere in the Blue Jackets’ locker room either way. It wouldn’t hurt if those answers started pouring in tonight, either.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)