Oct 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
It’s dangerous to look at trades in a vacuum. Judging a move based solely on the players involved – rather than context clues such as salary issues and rebuilding efforts – is often unfair to the GMs.
That being said, one could argue that trading Thornton forced the Bruins to a) commit to other players such as Patrice Bergeron and b) to transition from their old, flawed way of thinking. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty advanced such an argument today.
Since I object to the “Jumbo Joe is a choker” talk, the only strong bullet point is that Thornton’s departure helped to open up cash for Zdeno Chara. It’s possible that the Bruins’s salary structure wouldn’t have been big enough for the two of them, especially when you throw Tim Thomas in the mix.
So maybe in an abstract way, the Thornton trade ended up being a blessing in disguise.
Bruins fans shouldn’t “thank” Thornton for that 2011 Stanley Cup win, though. Instead, the credit should go to Chara, Thomas and GM Peter Chiarelli – three people who had next to zero connection to Thornton’s days in Boston.
Perhaps Bruins fans should start a “Thank you Chia” chant instead, then.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)