Oct 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
It’s dangerous to look at trades in a vacuum. Judging a move based solely on the players involved – rather than context clues such as salary issues and rebuilding efforts – is often unfair to the GMs.
That being said, one could argue that trading Thornton forced the Bruins to a) commit to other players such as Patrice Bergeron and b) to transition from their old, flawed way of thinking. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty advanced such an argument today.
Since I object to the “Jumbo Joe is a choker” talk, the only strong bullet point is that Thornton’s departure helped to open up cash for Zdeno Chara. It’s possible that the Bruins’s salary structure wouldn’t have been big enough for the two of them, especially when you throw Tim Thomas in the mix.
So maybe in an abstract way, the Thornton trade ended up being a blessing in disguise.
Bruins fans shouldn’t “thank” Thornton for that 2011 Stanley Cup win, though. Instead, the credit should go to Chara, Thomas and GM Peter Chiarelli – three people who had next to zero connection to Thornton’s days in Boston.
Perhaps Bruins fans should start a “Thank you Chia” chant instead, then.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)