Oct 22, 2011, 4:27 PM EST
Most Montreal Canadiens fans believe that Scott Gomez fails to earn his ridiculous salary. That will be even less debatable during at least the next week, as the highly paid center is expected to miss at least that long with an upper body injury according to The Canadian Press.
TSN hints that Gomez is dealing with shoulder issues stemming from Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Habs head coach Jacques Martin said that the injury could keep Gomez out “a couple weeks or longer,” so Montreal might need to prepare for him to miss a considerable amount of time. It’s unclear if he’ll go on the injured reserve, which is a relevant question considering his $7.36 million salary cap hit.
Either way, it’s unlikely that Gomez will be missed much. He carried over his flat play from 2010-11 so far, as he only has one assist in six games.
Gomez bashing aside, the Canadiens are banged up and off to a tough start this season. They hope to get things on track against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight, which could be a slightly tougher task with the return of winger Clarke MacArthur.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32