Oct 22, 2011, 4:27 PM EST
Most Montreal Canadiens fans believe that Scott Gomez fails to earn his ridiculous salary. That will be even less debatable during at least the next week, as the highly paid center is expected to miss at least that long with an upper body injury according to The Canadian Press.
TSN hints that Gomez is dealing with shoulder issues stemming from Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Habs head coach Jacques Martin said that the injury could keep Gomez out “a couple weeks or longer,” so Montreal might need to prepare for him to miss a considerable amount of time. It’s unclear if he’ll go on the injured reserve, which is a relevant question considering his $7.36 million salary cap hit.
Either way, it’s unlikely that Gomez will be missed much. He carried over his flat play from 2010-11 so far, as he only has one assist in six games.
Gomez bashing aside, the Canadiens are banged up and off to a tough start this season. They hope to get things on track against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight, which could be a slightly tougher task with the return of winger Clarke MacArthur.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2