Oct 22, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ two decade run of excellence has been all about adapting to changing times, yet the one constant has been Nicklas Lidstrom. That point will be made that much clearer as Lidstrom plays in his 1,500th regular season game against the Washington Capitals tonight. He’ll be just the 14th player in NHL history to cross that barrier.
Head coach Mike Babcock wasn’t exactly modest about his praise for Lidstrom; he told reporters that Lidstrom was “touched by a wand by God.” (To be fair, Babcock hasn’t restricted his semi-awkward comments about deities and defensemen to his own guys; he also said Drew Doughty was “touched by God” last December.)
There should be no doubt that Lidstrom is and was special, though. His all-world hockey IQ makes him seem like a supercomputer on skates. In his first 1,499 regular season games, Lidstrom racked up an amazing 1,111 points and a ridiculous +432 rating on his way to seven Norris Trophies. He’s also won four Stanley Cups and played in a staggering 258 career playoff games.
So yeah, there’s not much left to prove for Lidstrom, but with tonight’s game being a “big” one, chances are that he’ll enjoy trying to do just that again.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 73
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (76)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)