Oct 22, 2011, 10:22 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ two decade run of excellence has been all about adapting to changing times, yet the one constant has been Nicklas Lidstrom. That point will be made that much clearer as Lidstrom plays in his 1,500th regular season game against the Washington Capitals tonight. He’ll be just the 14th player in NHL history to cross that barrier.
Head coach Mike Babcock wasn’t exactly modest about his praise for Lidstrom; he told reporters that Lidstrom was “touched by a wand by God.” (To be fair, Babcock hasn’t restricted his semi-awkward comments about deities and defensemen to his own guys; he also said Drew Doughty was “touched by God” last December.)
There should be no doubt that Lidstrom is and was special, though. His all-world hockey IQ makes him seem like a supercomputer on skates. In his first 1,499 regular season games, Lidstrom racked up an amazing 1,111 points and a ridiculous +432 rating on his way to seven Norris Trophies. He’s also won four Stanley Cups and played in a staggering 258 career playoff games.
So yeah, there’s not much left to prove for Lidstrom, but with tonight’s game being a “big” one, chances are that he’ll enjoy trying to do just that again.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)