Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
The Capitals came into tonight’s battle of unbeaten teams with the Red Wings expecting it to be a war. What they got instead was a rout ripping the Wings apart for a 7-1 victory to improve their franchise best start to 7-0-0. While it was Nicklas Lidstrom‘s 1,500th NHL game for Detroit, it would be Mike Green being heard for the Caps scoring twice and assisting on two others. If Lidstrom is an idol of Green’s, he paid homage to him pretty well.
Eating the loss for Detroit was Ty Conklin. After the Wings started Jimmy Howard last night against Columbus, it was the backup Conklin getting the nod in this weekend’s biggest game. We know it’s early in the season, but maybe Wings coach Mike Babcock should’ve done his goalie rotation in reverse this time around. Columbus is awful so tossing Conklin against them could’ve worked out just as well as Howard did.
Shoulda, coulda, wouldas won’t help Detroit on this night though as the Caps got it done in all facets of the game. Maybe, just maybe, this Capitals team is one that’s going to roll through the regular season and straight through the playoffs and into the finals. Green’s big night coupled by another solid game from depth guys Marcus Johansson (goal), Joel Ward (goal) and Mathieu Perreault (two goals) helped show that it’s not just the big stars that can get it done in Washington.
It’s safe to say now that this Caps team is looking like a true Cup contender.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)