Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
The Capitals came into tonight’s battle of unbeaten teams with the Red Wings expecting it to be a war. What they got instead was a rout ripping the Wings apart for a 7-1 victory to improve their franchise best start to 7-0-0. While it was Nicklas Lidstrom‘s 1,500th NHL game for Detroit, it would be Mike Green being heard for the Caps scoring twice and assisting on two others. If Lidstrom is an idol of Green’s, he paid homage to him pretty well.
Eating the loss for Detroit was Ty Conklin. After the Wings started Jimmy Howard last night against Columbus, it was the backup Conklin getting the nod in this weekend’s biggest game. We know it’s early in the season, but maybe Wings coach Mike Babcock should’ve done his goalie rotation in reverse this time around. Columbus is awful so tossing Conklin against them could’ve worked out just as well as Howard did.
Shoulda, coulda, wouldas won’t help Detroit on this night though as the Caps got it done in all facets of the game. Maybe, just maybe, this Capitals team is one that’s going to roll through the regular season and straight through the playoffs and into the finals. Green’s big night coupled by another solid game from depth guys Marcus Johansson (goal), Joel Ward (goal) and Mathieu Perreault (two goals) helped show that it’s not just the big stars that can get it done in Washington.
It’s safe to say now that this Caps team is looking like a true Cup contender.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)