Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
The Capitals came into tonight’s battle of unbeaten teams with the Red Wings expecting it to be a war. What they got instead was a rout ripping the Wings apart for a 7-1 victory to improve their franchise best start to 7-0-0. While it was Nicklas Lidstrom‘s 1,500th NHL game for Detroit, it would be Mike Green being heard for the Caps scoring twice and assisting on two others. If Lidstrom is an idol of Green’s, he paid homage to him pretty well.
Eating the loss for Detroit was Ty Conklin. After the Wings started Jimmy Howard last night against Columbus, it was the backup Conklin getting the nod in this weekend’s biggest game. We know it’s early in the season, but maybe Wings coach Mike Babcock should’ve done his goalie rotation in reverse this time around. Columbus is awful so tossing Conklin against them could’ve worked out just as well as Howard did.
Shoulda, coulda, wouldas won’t help Detroit on this night though as the Caps got it done in all facets of the game. Maybe, just maybe, this Capitals team is one that’s going to roll through the regular season and straight through the playoffs and into the finals. Green’s big night coupled by another solid game from depth guys Marcus Johansson (goal), Joel Ward (goal) and Mathieu Perreault (two goals) helped show that it’s not just the big stars that can get it done in Washington.
It’s safe to say now that this Caps team is looking like a true Cup contender.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 21
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 21
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 76
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 109
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (109)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful