Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
The Capitals came into tonight’s battle of unbeaten teams with the Red Wings expecting it to be a war. What they got instead was a rout ripping the Wings apart for a 7-1 victory to improve their franchise best start to 7-0-0. While it was Nicklas Lidstrom‘s 1,500th NHL game for Detroit, it would be Mike Green being heard for the Caps scoring twice and assisting on two others. If Lidstrom is an idol of Green’s, he paid homage to him pretty well.
Eating the loss for Detroit was Ty Conklin. After the Wings started Jimmy Howard last night against Columbus, it was the backup Conklin getting the nod in this weekend’s biggest game. We know it’s early in the season, but maybe Wings coach Mike Babcock should’ve done his goalie rotation in reverse this time around. Columbus is awful so tossing Conklin against them could’ve worked out just as well as Howard did.
Shoulda, coulda, wouldas won’t help Detroit on this night though as the Caps got it done in all facets of the game. Maybe, just maybe, this Capitals team is one that’s going to roll through the regular season and straight through the playoffs and into the finals. Green’s big night coupled by another solid game from depth guys Marcus Johansson (goal), Joel Ward (goal) and Mathieu Perreault (two goals) helped show that it’s not just the big stars that can get it done in Washington.
It’s safe to say now that this Caps team is looking like a true Cup contender.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)