Oct 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
The Capitals came into tonight’s battle of unbeaten teams with the Red Wings expecting it to be a war. What they got instead was a rout ripping the Wings apart for a 7-1 victory to improve their franchise best start to 7-0-0. While it was Nicklas Lidstrom‘s 1,500th NHL game for Detroit, it would be Mike Green being heard for the Caps scoring twice and assisting on two others. If Lidstrom is an idol of Green’s, he paid homage to him pretty well.
Eating the loss for Detroit was Ty Conklin. After the Wings started Jimmy Howard last night against Columbus, it was the backup Conklin getting the nod in this weekend’s biggest game. We know it’s early in the season, but maybe Wings coach Mike Babcock should’ve done his goalie rotation in reverse this time around. Columbus is awful so tossing Conklin against them could’ve worked out just as well as Howard did.
Shoulda, coulda, wouldas won’t help Detroit on this night though as the Caps got it done in all facets of the game. Maybe, just maybe, this Capitals team is one that’s going to roll through the regular season and straight through the playoffs and into the finals. Green’s big night coupled by another solid game from depth guys Marcus Johansson (goal), Joel Ward (goal) and Mathieu Perreault (two goals) helped show that it’s not just the big stars that can get it done in Washington.
It’s safe to say now that this Caps team is looking like a true Cup contender.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)