Oct 22, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
When it comes to rooting interest, sometimes it’s about the lesser of two evils.
Only Joe Thornton knows how much bitterness he holds toward the Bruins and Boston market in general, but apparently his dislike of the Vancouver Canucks was much greater. Thornton told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he rooted for the B’s during the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
“I was actually cheering for them in the Final,” Thornton said. “After losing against Chicago and then seeing Chicago hoist it up it would have been hard to see Vancouver do that too. I was cheering for them and I still have a lot of friends over there – so I was happy for them.”
Thornton’s allegiance makes a lot of sense. In a way, it makes me think of how the Chicago Blackhawks pick their rivals. Longtime fans get their blood boiling for the Detroit Red Wings, but the actual Blackhawks developed a deeper dislike for the Vancouver Canucks after three playoff series.
Just because Jumbo Joe was happy for former teammates (and fast friend Milan Lucic) in Boston doesn’t mean that he won’t try to get a little on-ice revenge against his former team tonight. Still, it’s interesting to imagine Thornton rooting for the team that once traded him.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 22
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)