Oct 22, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
Is it panic time in Toronto? Starting goalie James Reimer was knocked out of tonight’s game against Montreal with what appeared to be a head injury after Canadiens forward Brian Gionta came storming through his crease. Gionta connected with Reimer’s head knocking him down and knocking his helmet off. Reimer appeared to be dazed but finished playing the first period.
When the second period started, however, it was Jonas Gustavsson taking over for Toronto and giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Whoops.
If Reimer is hurt for an extended amount of time, the less-than-impressive Gustavsson ascends to the starting job while AHL starter, and former Cornell standout, Ben Scrivens would get the call to back up The Monster. It’s a less-than ideal situation for the Leafs if they have to do that as Reimer has proven himself worthy of being a top starter in the league. He’s been the key to the Leafs’ success so far this season so if he’s out, the confidence in Leafs Nation will be shaken to the core.
We’ll find out later how badly, if at all, Reimer is hurt. If it proves to be a concussion, the worries over his return will be more than justified.
Update: Now with video of the play.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)