Oct 22, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
Is it panic time in Toronto? Starting goalie James Reimer was knocked out of tonight’s game against Montreal with what appeared to be a head injury after Canadiens forward Brian Gionta came storming through his crease. Gionta connected with Reimer’s head knocking him down and knocking his helmet off. Reimer appeared to be dazed but finished playing the first period.
When the second period started, however, it was Jonas Gustavsson taking over for Toronto and giving up a goal on the first shot he saw. Whoops.
If Reimer is hurt for an extended amount of time, the less-than-impressive Gustavsson ascends to the starting job while AHL starter, and former Cornell standout, Ben Scrivens would get the call to back up The Monster. It’s a less-than ideal situation for the Leafs if they have to do that as Reimer has proven himself worthy of being a top starter in the league. He’s been the key to the Leafs’ success so far this season so if he’s out, the confidence in Leafs Nation will be shaken to the core.
We’ll find out later how badly, if at all, Reimer is hurt. If it proves to be a concussion, the worries over his return will be more than justified.
Update: Now with video of the play.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)