Oct 22, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
Kari Lehtonen looked great at times last season, but 2011-12 might be the year that he truly shows why he was drafted second overall in 2002. The Finnish goalie made the difference for the Dallas Stars once again Friday night, as they beat an almost-as-hot Anaheim Ducks team 3-1.
Lehtonen is 6-0 so far this season, but it’s the workload he’s carrying that really makes his results impressive. Aside from the Columbus Blue Jacket’s dismal efforts, Lehtonen has faced at least 36 shots in every start. He’s been up to the task to a staggering degree, though, allowing just nine goals.
Naturally, the burning question is whether he can keep it up. He has the pedigree to do so, but two worrisome factors cannot be ignored.
Stars fans might grumble at this one, but there was a time when Lehtonen was the Southeast Rick DiPietro: a highly drafted and occasionally promising goalie whose career was riddled with injuries. He was limited to 12 games in 2009-10 and less than 50 in 08-09 and 07-08. Hopefully Lehtonen is over those woes, but the injury risks are legitimate if he continues to face 35+ shots per night and flirts with 70 starts.
Sheldon Souray has been an amazing story so far. He went from a guy whose contract left him buried in the AHL to a solid offensive contributor out of the gate (five points in seven games).
Souray doesn’t heal many own-zone wounds, though. Lehtonen’s dazzling .957 save percentage is bound to drop, so Dallas’ D needs to tighten up. They might not have the personnel to do that, though.
There are a number of factors working against Lehtonen and the Stars, but his talent shouldn’t be denied. We’ll see if that’s enough to clear some serious hurdles this season.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)