Oct 22, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
If you choose only one day to follow hockey this week (boo), then tonight should be your night. Saturday, Oct. 22 ranks as one of the busiest days of the 2011-12 season. We’ll have meatier stuff for many of these games, but let’s take a lightning fast look at the 14 contests on the docket.
Minnesota at Vancouver - 4 pm ET
Nashville at Calgary - 4 pm ET
The Flames have gone 12-3-1 in their last 16 games against the Predators; Pekka Rinne hopes to beat them for the first time tonight.
Columbus at Ottawa - 7 pm ET
Buffalo at Tampa Bay - 7 pm ET
If goals against average is a stat in your fantasy league, you might want to sit goalies from both teams.
St. Louis at Philadelphia - 7 pm ET
The Flyers should come out angry after that loss to Washington, which might be fatal for a Blues team facing back-to-back games.
New Jersey at Pittsburgh - 7 pm ET
The Devils are quietly shaping up to be a contender in the Atlantic again, but we’ll see how they’ll fare against the busy Penguins, who will play their 10th game of the season.
San Jose at Boston - 7 pm ET
Seriously, Jumbo Joe couldn’t have feigned and injury to make his 1,000th game against the Bruins instead? So selfish.
Toronto at Montreal - 7 pm ET
The Canadiens are one of two East teams without a win at home; the Rangers haven’t even played at MSG yet, though.
Detroit at Washington - 7 pm ET
No doubt about it, this is tonight’s marquee matchup.
Carolina at Winnipeg - 7 pm ET
My instinct is to say this a good chance for Winnipeg to turn their gloomy situation around, but the Hurricanes are 8-1-1 in their last 10 against the Thrashers/Jets.
NY Islanders at Florida - 7:30 pm ET
The Panthers have been shutout two games in a row, but maybe they can get it together against the team they shutout to begin the season.
Colorado at Chicago - 8:30 pm ET
All five of the Avalanche’s wins have come on the road so far this season, but they’ll have to best a team that flattened them recently to reach number six.
NY Rangers at Edmonton - 10 pm ET
Forgive Glen Sather if he daydreams for a second while watching an Oilers team full of young talent on the other side of the ice.
Dallas at Los Angeles - 10:30 pm ET
The Stars face a high-end Pacific Division test for the second night in a row; if they manage to win this one, it might be time to take them seriously.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (82)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)