Oct 22, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
When you get reamed out by coach Barry Trotz for being “horrible, just horrible” the chances that you’ll get back in the lineup are pretty long. Such was the case for Predators defenseman Mattias Ekholm who, thanks to his awful play against the Canucks in a 5-1 loss, is on his way back to Sweden.
Hey, when Trotz calls you out he means business. Just think about what it’ll be like living under that kind of fear in the Predators locker room.
“The last guy that played horrible here I sent him off the continent. Now get out there and play better… Or else!”
Ekholm played in the first six games of the season for the Predators, but after the debacle against Vancouver, it was time for Ekholm to go and sending him back to his Swedish Elite League team, Brynas IF, was the right thing to do. It was clear that Ekholm wasn’t ready to stick around in the NHL and getting him back into his comfort zone is better in the long run for the 21 year-old.
Now the Preds will hope that Teemu Laakso can hold down the fort while waiting on Francis Bouillon to return from his concussion. If that doesn’t work, then it could be Ryan Ellis time in Nashville. The lesson here, as always, is not to cross Barry Trotz… Or else.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)