Oct 22, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
When you get reamed out by coach Barry Trotz for being “horrible, just horrible” the chances that you’ll get back in the lineup are pretty long. Such was the case for Predators defenseman Mattias Ekholm who, thanks to his awful play against the Canucks in a 5-1 loss, is on his way back to Sweden.
Hey, when Trotz calls you out he means business. Just think about what it’ll be like living under that kind of fear in the Predators locker room.
“The last guy that played horrible here I sent him off the continent. Now get out there and play better… Or else!”
Ekholm played in the first six games of the season for the Predators, but after the debacle against Vancouver, it was time for Ekholm to go and sending him back to his Swedish Elite League team, Brynas IF, was the right thing to do. It was clear that Ekholm wasn’t ready to stick around in the NHL and getting him back into his comfort zone is better in the long run for the 21 year-old.
Now the Preds will hope that Teemu Laakso can hold down the fort while waiting on Francis Bouillon to return from his concussion. If that doesn’t work, then it could be Ryan Ellis time in Nashville. The lesson here, as always, is not to cross Barry Trotz… Or else.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 16
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)