Oct 22, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
When you get reamed out by coach Barry Trotz for being “horrible, just horrible” the chances that you’ll get back in the lineup are pretty long. Such was the case for Predators defenseman Mattias Ekholm who, thanks to his awful play against the Canucks in a 5-1 loss, is on his way back to Sweden.
Hey, when Trotz calls you out he means business. Just think about what it’ll be like living under that kind of fear in the Predators locker room.
“The last guy that played horrible here I sent him off the continent. Now get out there and play better… Or else!”
Ekholm played in the first six games of the season for the Predators, but after the debacle against Vancouver, it was time for Ekholm to go and sending him back to his Swedish Elite League team, Brynas IF, was the right thing to do. It was clear that Ekholm wasn’t ready to stick around in the NHL and getting him back into his comfort zone is better in the long run for the 21 year-old.
Now the Preds will hope that Teemu Laakso can hold down the fort while waiting on Francis Bouillon to return from his concussion. If that doesn’t work, then it could be Ryan Ellis time in Nashville. The lesson here, as always, is not to cross Barry Trotz… Or else.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)