Oct 21, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings put a streaking Columbus Blue Jackets team in their place by spanking them in a home-and-home series. This time around, they just kicked a little more dirt in their faces with a 5-2 win.
The game shined a harsh spotlight on the two teams. While the Red Wings remain undefeated, the Blue Jackets are the only remaining NHL team without a single victory. (At least Vinny Prospal won’t be conflicted about Friday’s game – both the results and the effort were pitiful.) It’s not like the Blue Jackets are scrapping out charity points here and there, either. They’ve earned one lonely point in seven games thanks to a shootout loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
So is there any hope?
Kind of. The Blue Jackets have a golden opportunity to earn their first “W” on Saturday, as they play the Ottawa Senators.
They better break the curse tomorrow, though, because things could get really ugly once James Wisniewski is eligible to throw questionable checks and cash questionable checks once again. Here’s a quick glance at their next few games in case you want to put together an office pool on when the Blue Jackets will earn their first win.
Oct. 22: at Ottawa
Oct. 25: home vs. Detroit
Oct. 27: at Buffalo
Oct. 29: at Chicago
Oct. 30: home vs. Anaheim
(Click here for their November schedule)
If the Blue Jackets fail against the Senators, they might not earn their first win until November. That’s plenty of time to turn a “vote of confidence” into an awkward firing press conference.
So when do you think they’ll earn that first win?
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)