Oct 21, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings put a streaking Columbus Blue Jackets team in their place by spanking them in a home-and-home series. This time around, they just kicked a little more dirt in their faces with a 5-2 win.
The game shined a harsh spotlight on the two teams. While the Red Wings remain undefeated, the Blue Jackets are the only remaining NHL team without a single victory. (At least Vinny Prospal won’t be conflicted about Friday’s game – both the results and the effort were pitiful.) It’s not like the Blue Jackets are scrapping out charity points here and there, either. They’ve earned one lonely point in seven games thanks to a shootout loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
So is there any hope?
Kind of. The Blue Jackets have a golden opportunity to earn their first “W” on Saturday, as they play the Ottawa Senators.
They better break the curse tomorrow, though, because things could get really ugly once James Wisniewski is eligible to throw questionable checks and cash questionable checks once again. Here’s a quick glance at their next few games in case you want to put together an office pool on when the Blue Jackets will earn their first win.
Oct. 22: at Ottawa
Oct. 25: home vs. Detroit
Oct. 27: at Buffalo
Oct. 29: at Chicago
Oct. 30: home vs. Anaheim
(Click here for their November schedule)
If the Blue Jackets fail against the Senators, they might not earn their first win until November. That’s plenty of time to turn a “vote of confidence” into an awkward firing press conference.
So when do you think they’ll earn that first win?
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)