Oct 21, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings put a streaking Columbus Blue Jackets team in their place by spanking them in a home-and-home series. This time around, they just kicked a little more dirt in their faces with a 5-2 win.
The game shined a harsh spotlight on the two teams. While the Red Wings remain undefeated, the Blue Jackets are the only remaining NHL team without a single victory. (At least Vinny Prospal won’t be conflicted about Friday’s game – both the results and the effort were pitiful.) It’s not like the Blue Jackets are scrapping out charity points here and there, either. They’ve earned one lonely point in seven games thanks to a shootout loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
So is there any hope?
Kind of. The Blue Jackets have a golden opportunity to earn their first “W” on Saturday, as they play the Ottawa Senators.
They better break the curse tomorrow, though, because things could get really ugly once James Wisniewski is eligible to throw questionable checks and cash questionable checks once again. Here’s a quick glance at their next few games in case you want to put together an office pool on when the Blue Jackets will earn their first win.
Oct. 22: at Ottawa
Oct. 25: home vs. Detroit
Oct. 27: at Buffalo
Oct. 29: at Chicago
Oct. 30: home vs. Anaheim
(Click here for their November schedule)
If the Blue Jackets fail against the Senators, they might not earn their first win until November. That’s plenty of time to turn a “vote of confidence” into an awkward firing press conference.
So when do you think they’ll earn that first win?
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2