Oct 21, 2011, 11:11 PM EST
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings put a streaking Columbus Blue Jackets team in their place by spanking them in a home-and-home series. This time around, they just kicked a little more dirt in their faces with a 5-2 win.
The game shined a harsh spotlight on the two teams. While the Red Wings remain undefeated, the Blue Jackets are the only remaining NHL team without a single victory. (At least Vinny Prospal won’t be conflicted about Friday’s game – both the results and the effort were pitiful.) It’s not like the Blue Jackets are scrapping out charity points here and there, either. They’ve earned one lonely point in seven games thanks to a shootout loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
So is there any hope?
Kind of. The Blue Jackets have a golden opportunity to earn their first “W” on Saturday, as they play the Ottawa Senators.
They better break the curse tomorrow, though, because things could get really ugly once James Wisniewski is eligible to throw questionable checks and cash questionable checks once again. Here’s a quick glance at their next few games in case you want to put together an office pool on when the Blue Jackets will earn their first win.
Oct. 22: at Ottawa
Oct. 25: home vs. Detroit
Oct. 27: at Buffalo
Oct. 29: at Chicago
Oct. 30: home vs. Anaheim
(Click here for their November schedule)
If the Blue Jackets fail against the Senators, they might not earn their first win until November. That’s plenty of time to turn a “vote of confidence” into an awkward firing press conference.
So when do you think they’ll earn that first win?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 2
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)