Oct 21, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
You don’t often get buzzer-beating goals in the NHL, but Alberta proved to be the land where the home team’s couldn’t beat the clock. Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh scored with 1.8 seconds left in overtime beating Henrik Karlsson to give New York a 3-2 win.
In Edmonton, it would be the much hated Dany Heatley scoring with 0.5 seconds left in regulation to tie the Oilers 1-1 and ruin Nikolai Khabibulin‘s shutout bid at the last possible second. Minnesota went on to win in a shootout.
Soak in the video glory (or agony) of scoring in the final seconds of play.
Ryan McDonagh breaks Calgary
Dany Heatley tortures Edmonton
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35