Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT
Not without reason, mind you — it was a fairly huge deal. Kessel fell out of favor in Boston before getting flipped to Toronto for a treasure chest of draft picks. Since the trade, all things have come up Bruin: Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, Dougie Hamilton…and that whole 2011 Stanley Cup thingy.
Tonight, it wasn’t just the media bringing up the Kessel trade — it was the TD Garden faithful. To thank Kessel for all he’s done for the organization, Bruins fans decided to give him the business. Shortly after Seguin scored to make it 6-1 (his third and final point of the evening) the Garden erupted into a “thank you Kes-sel” chant:
It was a forgettable night for Kessel (no points, minus-1 rating, one shot on goal), but that shouldn’t take away from how good he’s been thus far. Kessel had seven goals and five assists in Toronto’s first five games and despite tonight’s loss, the Leafs are still within a point of top spot in the division. So yes, the trade looks good for Toronto.
Of course, it looks really good for the Bruins.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)