Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT
Not without reason, mind you — it was a fairly huge deal. Kessel fell out of favor in Boston before getting flipped to Toronto for a treasure chest of draft picks. Since the trade, all things have come up Bruin: Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, Dougie Hamilton…and that whole 2011 Stanley Cup thingy.
Tonight, it wasn’t just the media bringing up the Kessel trade — it was the TD Garden faithful. To thank Kessel for all he’s done for the organization, Bruins fans decided to give him the business. Shortly after Seguin scored to make it 6-1 (his third and final point of the evening) the Garden erupted into a “thank you Kes-sel” chant:
It was a forgettable night for Kessel (no points, minus-1 rating, one shot on goal), but that shouldn’t take away from how good he’s been thus far. Kessel had seven goals and five assists in Toronto’s first five games and despite tonight’s loss, the Leafs are still within a point of top spot in the division. So yes, the trade looks good for Toronto.
Of course, it looks really good for the Bruins.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9