Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT
Not without reason, mind you — it was a fairly huge deal. Kessel fell out of favor in Boston before getting flipped to Toronto for a treasure chest of draft picks. Since the trade, all things have come up Bruin: Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, Dougie Hamilton…and that whole 2011 Stanley Cup thingy.
Tonight, it wasn’t just the media bringing up the Kessel trade — it was the TD Garden faithful. To thank Kessel for all he’s done for the organization, Bruins fans decided to give him the business. Shortly after Seguin scored to make it 6-1 (his third and final point of the evening) the Garden erupted into a “thank you Kes-sel” chant:
It was a forgettable night for Kessel (no points, minus-1 rating, one shot on goal), but that shouldn’t take away from how good he’s been thus far. Kessel had seven goals and five assists in Toronto’s first five games and despite tonight’s loss, the Leafs are still within a point of top spot in the division. So yes, the trade looks good for Toronto.
Of course, it looks really good for the Bruins.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)