Oct 21, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
Usually when you hear of a player getting “Lindros’d” it means they got crushed going through open ice with their head down. This time it means hearing boos from the fans of the team that drafted you and then had to trade you away. It takes a special brand of circumstances to make that kind of hateful magic happen and Rangers defenseman Tim Erixon pulled it off in Calgary last night.
When you get drafted by the hometown team and refuse to sign with them forcing the team to trade you, the natives will let you hear it and boy did they in Calgary. Erixon, in typical fashion for a player in that kind of spot, shrugged it off saying he had nothing against the City of Calgary and if the fans felt the need to boo him, that’s up to them.
Erixon’s contract negotiations with Calgary weren’t exactly the circus sideshow that Eric Lindros’ were with Quebec before they had to deal him to Philadelphia, but for fans that doesn’t matter at all. Hey, at least Flames fans didn’t show up to the game with comically oversized pacifiers and posters of Erixon as a crying baby. That would’ve been awkward.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)