Oct 21, 2011, 12:04 PM EST
Vinny Prospal? Or Yoda.
The Blue Jackets’ veteran forward is furious with his team’s 0-5-1 start, and he doesn’t care how much everyone’s trying. There is no try. Do…or do not.
“We’ve scored two goals every game,” Prospal said, as reported by Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch. “It’s been going on for six games. The coaches are expressing enough, but ultimately it’s up to each individual, how they approach it. The coaches can do only so much to guide you, show you what to do. Ultimately, it’s on the individual to perform out there. Not try to do it, do it.
“(Against Dallas) it’s great that we had 40 shots, but we still scored two goals. It’s not enough. That’s what we should be thinking about, not that we played a good game, that we probably outplayed them. That’s not enough. We cannot be satisfied.”
Prospal can’t be feeling great about his decision to sign a one-year deal with the Jackets. The 36-year-old is approaching his 1,000th career NHL game and time is running out on his chances to win a Stanley Cup. (No, he never won it with Tampa Bay. He was with Anaheim that year.)
“I don’t want to think like that right now,” Prospal said. “I’m grateful. I’m very fortunate for the opportunity that I’m getting here.
“But the career goes by so quickly. Maybe some guys don’t think about it the way I am right now, but you never know how it’s going to be. You have to try to make the most of the opportunity you have at this time. Right now. Today.”
And then Prospal started singing “Don’t Blink” by Kenny Chesney.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)