Oct 21, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
Why the sudden switch-up in Philly? They had to find a place for Brayden Schenn to fit into the lineup.
If you’re a Flyers fan and getting ready to boo everyone for the change, Peter Laviolette wants you to know that switching up three out of four lines wasn’t the reason why they got pounded by Washington.
Sometimes chemistry can work on the fly for a team like Boston that’s mostly all the same players from last year, but in Philly’s case switching lines up on the fly like that for a game against a premiere opponent was begging for trouble. Add to that that the Flyers are still working out the chemistry together themselves and adding a new player into the mix to top it off and you’ve got a recipe for a beat down.
Losing one game like this isn’t the end of the world for the Flyers, of course, it’s just a bit awkward that a big lineup shuffle like that would occur suddenly before a “big” game. In Boston, they had to shake things up because it wasn’t working. With Philly, it was cruising along nicely before the Schenn addition. Now the question is: How long will it take them to figure it out?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)