Oct 21, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien has pleaded not guilty to charges that stemmed from an alleged impaired boating incident.
Byfuglien was arrested on Aug. 31 after police stopped a boat he was driving on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota. As summarized by the Canadian Press, the 26-year-old passed a breathalyzer test but a “police drug recognition expert” determined he was under the influence of drugs.
Byfuglien allegedly “had trouble speaking, was unsteady on his feet and smelled of alcohol.” He also failed field sobriety tests, had an elevated pulse, high blood pressure, watery eyes and a “distinct brown stain on his tongue.” (Not sure what a brown stain on your tongue might imply. I’d wager on chewing tobacco, but I’m no police drug recognition expert.)
Byfuglien admitted to taking a muscle relaxant and a bunch of supplements but refused to provide a blood or urine sample. Said refusal is the most serious of the charges (he’s also charged with failing to display proper lights on the boat and failing to provide enough flotation devices). If convicted, it carries a maximum of one year in jail, a $3,000 fine, or both.
Now I’m no lawyer, but I doubt Byfuglien will do a year in the slammer if convicted. However, a conviction could complicate his work status in Canada.
Again, I’m no lawyer, but I doubt Byfuglien will be barred from working in Canada over this incident. Common sense tells me they’ll figure something out. Or, he’ll get off entirely.
The whole thing sounds like a pretty big hassle though.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)