Oct 21, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
The debate can finally be put to an end over who won the Phil Kessel trade. While the Leafs came away with the dynamic scorer they craved, the Bruins came out of it with three great draft picks in Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton, and Jared Knight. The Bruins also came away with a Stanley Cup last year. Apparently that’s a big deal.
Leafs GM Brian Burke took plenty of heat for dishing off two #1 picks and a second rounder for Kessel, but fans were eager to yell that they won the trade on both sides. Burke says all that talk can end now after what he told Michael Traikos of The National Post after the Leafs were spanked by Boston last night.
“Peter Chiarelli has a ring. There’s no argument,” Leafs general manager Brian Burke said of his Bruins counterpart prior to Boston’s 6-2 win against Toronto on Thursday night. “Whenever people question whether the trade worked or not, he holds up his right hand and you can’t say anything.”
Debate over – the Bruins win again.
Of course, Burke goes on to admit he’d do the deal again in a heartbeat because of how good Kessel is. In this case, going for the sure thing instead of chasing draft picks is what he means. Of course, you never expect those picks to be second and ninth overall in back-to-back years either.
Burke’s admission should end the debate, but asking Leafs and Bruins fans to stop sniping each other is like asking cats and dogs to knock it off.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)