Oct 21, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT
Former NHL player Bill Guerin has some advice for locked out NBA players: Quit fighting the owners and get back to work.
“It’s not worth it. Get a deal done,” Geurin told McClatchy’s Mac Engel.
Coming from a player who was a loyal union man during his hockey career, it was an astonishing admission. As Engel writes, “There was not a single NHL player during the Great Lockout of 2004-05 who was a bigger proponent of the union’s fight than this man. No one believed in the cause more than Guerin, and to hear him admit this is a bit stunning.”
Presumably Guerin would do things differently if he could go back in time.
“Burning a year was ridiculous,” Guerin said. “It wasn’t worth me giving up $9 million a year, or 82 games plus the playoffs, then having a crappy year and being bought out. … Guys in the NBA making $15 million or however much better think long and hard about this.”
It will be interesting to see if the NHLPA has any response to Guerin’s comments. With the current CBA expiring at the end of the season, union head Donald Fehr might feel the need to do some damage control. A union’s resolve isn’t exactly strengthened when a former player says things like, “It’s (the owner’s) league, and you are going to play when they want.” Which is exactly what Guerin said.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)