Oct 20, 2011, 11:33 PM EST
Seeing Neal turn into a goal-scoring freak is a blessing for the Penguins given all their injuries to their offensive skill superstars as well as a huge weight off of Neal’s own shoulders. Neal came into the season after a miserable time last year that saw him struggle to score goals for the Penguins after being traded by Dallas.
Neal came in with the hopes and aspirations of being the guy that rides shotgun with either Evgeni Malkin or Sidney Crosby. So far he’s gotten more time with Jordan Staal and this season, he’s become their lamp lighter extraordinaire.
Making things more fun for Neal? Trying to prove Pens beat writer Rob Rossi wrong for saying he would only score 17 goals this year. If Neal keeps scoring like this, he’ll have 17 before December. If he gets Malkin and/or Crosby to center him he could get 17 by Veteran’s Day. For now, Neal is just happy to see the pucks finding the back of the net and not the posts.
Here’s Neal’s goal tonight that put the Penguins up 1-0.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)