Oct 20, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT
If you’d forgotten all about Sheldon Souray and his booming shot and offensive abilities as a defenseman you’d be excused. After getting bought out by the Oilers, he’s now thriving in Dallas and helping the Dallas Stars get off to a big start. Souray has a goal and four assists in the Stars’ first six games and Dallas has gone 5-1-0.
Not bad for a guy that the Oilers put in the AHL because they didn’t want him rubbing off on their young players.
While Souray is most known for his offense, he’s getting it done on both ends of the ice. Being a defenseman that’s kind of a big deal. Apparently being out of the NHL for more than a season hasn’t made Souray rusty at all. If anything else, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan tells Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas that it’s made Souray an even meaner guy for opponents to deal with.
Souray’s nasty side has always been there, but the key for him will be in keeping his fists in check. Souray’s lost more games in both the NHL and AHL the last few seasons thanks to hurting his hand in fights. The Stars’ success hinges on Souray continuing to do what he does at both ends of the ice whether it’s booming the puck at the net or stuffing opponents into the boards.
With the defensive problems the Oilers are having this season, you can’t help but wonder why things went as poorly there as they did. It’s obvious Souray can still play solid hockey, but the Stars are thankful to have him and potentially lead them to the playoffs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)