Oct 20, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT
If you’d forgotten all about Sheldon Souray and his booming shot and offensive abilities as a defenseman you’d be excused. After getting bought out by the Oilers, he’s now thriving in Dallas and helping the Dallas Stars get off to a big start. Souray has a goal and four assists in the Stars’ first six games and Dallas has gone 5-1-0.
Not bad for a guy that the Oilers put in the AHL because they didn’t want him rubbing off on their young players.
While Souray is most known for his offense, he’s getting it done on both ends of the ice. Being a defenseman that’s kind of a big deal. Apparently being out of the NHL for more than a season hasn’t made Souray rusty at all. If anything else, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan tells Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas that it’s made Souray an even meaner guy for opponents to deal with.
Souray’s nasty side has always been there, but the key for him will be in keeping his fists in check. Souray’s lost more games in both the NHL and AHL the last few seasons thanks to hurting his hand in fights. The Stars’ success hinges on Souray continuing to do what he does at both ends of the ice whether it’s booming the puck at the net or stuffing opponents into the boards.
With the defensive problems the Oilers are having this season, you can’t help but wonder why things went as poorly there as they did. It’s obvious Souray can still play solid hockey, but the Stars are thankful to have him and potentially lead them to the playoffs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)