Oct 20, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT
If you’d forgotten all about Sheldon Souray and his booming shot and offensive abilities as a defenseman you’d be excused. After getting bought out by the Oilers, he’s now thriving in Dallas and helping the Dallas Stars get off to a big start. Souray has a goal and four assists in the Stars’ first six games and Dallas has gone 5-1-0.
Not bad for a guy that the Oilers put in the AHL because they didn’t want him rubbing off on their young players.
While Souray is most known for his offense, he’s getting it done on both ends of the ice. Being a defenseman that’s kind of a big deal. Apparently being out of the NHL for more than a season hasn’t made Souray rusty at all. If anything else, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan tells Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas that it’s made Souray an even meaner guy for opponents to deal with.
Souray’s nasty side has always been there, but the key for him will be in keeping his fists in check. Souray’s lost more games in both the NHL and AHL the last few seasons thanks to hurting his hand in fights. The Stars’ success hinges on Souray continuing to do what he does at both ends of the ice whether it’s booming the puck at the net or stuffing opponents into the boards.
With the defensive problems the Oilers are having this season, you can’t help but wonder why things went as poorly there as they did. It’s obvious Souray can still play solid hockey, but the Stars are thankful to have him and potentially lead them to the playoffs.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)