Oct 20, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT
If you’d forgotten all about Sheldon Souray and his booming shot and offensive abilities as a defenseman you’d be excused. After getting bought out by the Oilers, he’s now thriving in Dallas and helping the Dallas Stars get off to a big start. Souray has a goal and four assists in the Stars’ first six games and Dallas has gone 5-1-0.
Not bad for a guy that the Oilers put in the AHL because they didn’t want him rubbing off on their young players.
While Souray is most known for his offense, he’s getting it done on both ends of the ice. Being a defenseman that’s kind of a big deal. Apparently being out of the NHL for more than a season hasn’t made Souray rusty at all. If anything else, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan tells Mark Stepneski of ESPN Dallas that it’s made Souray an even meaner guy for opponents to deal with.
Souray’s nasty side has always been there, but the key for him will be in keeping his fists in check. Souray’s lost more games in both the NHL and AHL the last few seasons thanks to hurting his hand in fights. The Stars’ success hinges on Souray continuing to do what he does at both ends of the ice whether it’s booming the puck at the net or stuffing opponents into the boards.
With the defensive problems the Oilers are having this season, you can’t help but wonder why things went as poorly there as they did. It’s obvious Souray can still play solid hockey, but the Stars are thankful to have him and potentially lead them to the playoffs.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)