Nicklas Lidstrom and Joe Thornton will hit milestones in games played this week. Oh yeah, Hal Gill will too
Oct 20, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
Assuming he doesn’t get hurt over the next 48 hours, Detroit Red Wings D Nicklas Lidstrom will play his 1500th NHL contest on Saturday against Washington.
Assuming he doesn’t get hurt over the next 24 hours, San Jose Sharks C Joe Thorton will play his 1000th NHL contest on Friday against New Jersey.
All joking aside, this is a pretty impressive feat. Only 264 players in NHL history have played in 1,000 games and at 6-foot-7, Gill’s the tallest to ever accomplish it. Not bad for an eighth-round pick (207th overall) at the 1993 Draft that was almost cut immediately by then-Boston coach Pat Burns:
After an impressive training camp with the Bruins 14 years ago, the late Pat Burns told him that if it were up to him, Gill would be cut. But his trusted assistant coach Jacques Laperriere saw something in Gill, and Burns deferred to his judgment.
“Well, Jacques wants to keep you around,” Gill remembers Burns telling him. “I don’t really see it, but I’m going to go with Jacques on this one.”
For a blueliner with limited mobility that was booed almost nightly during his time in Toronto, Gill’s been a very useful player for some very good teams. He’s played over 100 playoff games, went to three consecutive Eastern Conference finals from 2007-10 and won a Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh.
While his success stems from blocking more shots than Dikembe Mutombo — Gill famously recorded 68 in 18 games during Montreal’s magical playoff run two years ago — he’s also served as a valuable mentor to younger defensemen. Habs blueliners P.K. Subban and Josh Gorges credit Gill as a major influence on their development. (Which is kind of hilarious because, if you were going to pick Hal Gill’s polar opposite, it’d probably be Subban.)
So here’s to you, Hal Gill. Congrats on game No. 1000. Here’s hoping you celebrate by further denting your shinpads tonight.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (97)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games