Oct 20, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
San Jose’s struggling offense should get a boost Friday in New Jersey when Martin Havlat makes his debut for the Sharks after missing the first four games of the season while still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.
“Marty will play,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said today, as reported by NHL.com. “That’s what I’ve been told and the doctors cleared him. If anything changes between now and then it will be a surprise to everyone.”
Havlat was traded from Minnesota to San Jose on July 3 with Dany Heatley going to the Wild in return.
The Sharks have scored just 10 times in their first four games, three of them regulation defeats. So the addition of Havlat comes at the perfect time for a group that’s used to filling the net. The 30-year-old is coming off a decent 2010-11 season with Minnesota, where he notched 22 goals and adding 40 assists on a team that scored the fifth fewest goals in the NHL.
Havlat’s best season came in 2008-09 when he led the Chicago Blackhawks with 77 points and was named team MVP. But when the ‘Hawks inked Marian Hossa to a big contract the following summer, Havlat reluctantly signed a six-year, $30-million deal with the Wild.
Havlat is expected to start the game against the Devils on a line with Logan Couture and Ryan Clowe.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)