Oct 20, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT
After all the frustration and the line changes and the general foul mood in Boston, all it takes is a game and a few goals to get things back on track. Such was the case with the Bruins who saw all of the guys who did very bad things against Carolina stepped up big in beating the Leafs 6-2.
The Bruins got two goals from Zdeno Chara, a goal each for Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton and another quietly brilliant game from Tim Thomas made all the difference for Boston who got the change of pace they were looking for. Helping pour salt in the wounds for Leafs goalie Jonas Gustavsson was none other than Tyler Seguin whose third period goal got the TD Garden crowd fired up chanting, “Thank you, Kessel” for NHL scoring leader and former Bruin Phil Kessel. That grudge is never going to go away as long as the Leafs keep beating Toronto and keeping Kessel off the scoresheet.
It’s a bad game for Toronto and a great one for Boston. Whether this is the one that gets the Bruins’ heads back on straight or not… We’ll see what happens in their next game or two before declaring Chara the smartest guy in the universe for sparking his team or Claude Julien to be a genius for making the changes they needed.
Take a look at Chris Kelly‘s nifty stick and foot work scoring on Gustavsson.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)