Oct 20, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
In news the NHL will be watching closely, the Associated Press is reporting that “more than 125 former pro football players” are suing the NFL, saying the league didn’t do enough to warn players about the dangers of head injuries.
Prominent class-action attorney Thomas Girardi says the goals of the litigation are threefold.
“One is to make necessary changes so that others playing this game don’t go the same way. The second goal is to set up a medical process so these people can have medical attention for this injury as long as they need it. And the third goal is to get compensation,” said Girardi. “Some of these people are unable to work in a work setting because of their inability to understand common concepts.”
The NFL maintains the players knew of the risks associated with playing football.
Through rule changes and tougher suspensions, the NHL has taken steps to address the problems of head shots in hockey, but did the league act soon enough to avoid similar litigation in the future?
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)