Oct 20, 2011, 2:18 PM EST
In news the NHL will be watching closely, the Associated Press is reporting that “more than 125 former pro football players” are suing the NFL, saying the league didn’t do enough to warn players about the dangers of head injuries.
Prominent class-action attorney Thomas Girardi says the goals of the litigation are threefold.
“One is to make necessary changes so that others playing this game don’t go the same way. The second goal is to set up a medical process so these people can have medical attention for this injury as long as they need it. And the third goal is to get compensation,” said Girardi. “Some of these people are unable to work in a work setting because of their inability to understand common concepts.”
The NFL maintains the players knew of the risks associated with playing football.
Through rule changes and tougher suspensions, the NHL has taken steps to address the problems of head shots in hockey, but did the league act soon enough to avoid similar litigation in the future?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)