Oct 20, 2011, 8:08 AM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk is being paid to play hockey like a superstar in the league should. Signing a 15-year, $100 million deal will get you put on the ice at all times to help the team win. In Kovalchuk’s case, it gets him put on the ice no matter what is going on for the Devils.
Kovalchuk has been averaging just over 27 minutes of ice time so far this season, a crazy amount for a forward. While many players would see their game suffer playing so much, Kovalchuk is feeding off of it. The Devils are 3-1-0 so far and Kovalchuk has two goals and two assists to lead the team.
DeBoer explains to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice what’s up with all the ice time.
“I got a few calls from friends around the league wanting to know if I was going to burn him out by Christmas,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer admitted today. “But he’s got a big engine and he seems to thrive on the responsibility.”
So far so good, right?
Seeing this much ice time is a throwback to his Atlanta days and… Well, that actually worked OK. Rock on then. If playing this much means that both he and Zach Parise can make a run at 40 goals, the Devils will do that everyday of the week.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)