Oct 20, 2011, 8:08 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk is being paid to play hockey like a superstar in the league should. Signing a 15-year, $100 million deal will get you put on the ice at all times to help the team win. In Kovalchuk’s case, it gets him put on the ice no matter what is going on for the Devils.
Kovalchuk has been averaging just over 27 minutes of ice time so far this season, a crazy amount for a forward. While many players would see their game suffer playing so much, Kovalchuk is feeding off of it. The Devils are 3-1-0 so far and Kovalchuk has two goals and two assists to lead the team.
DeBoer explains to Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice what’s up with all the ice time.
“I got a few calls from friends around the league wanting to know if I was going to burn him out by Christmas,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer admitted today. “But he’s got a big engine and he seems to thrive on the responsibility.”
So far so good, right?
Seeing this much ice time is a throwback to his Atlanta days and… Well, that actually worked OK. Rock on then. If playing this much means that both he and Zach Parise can make a run at 40 goals, the Devils will do that everyday of the week.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)