Oct 20, 2011, 9:02 AM EDT
It might be way too early to call tonight’s Caps-Flyers game an Eastern Conference finals preview, but anything’s possible and both teams head into tonight’s game playing as good as it gets this season. The Capitals are 5-0-0 while the Flyers are 4-0-1, both teams combining to earn 19 of a possible 20 points this season.
The juxtaposition of each team is great. The Caps are winning without Alex Ovechkin playing like one of the world’s best players. Instead it’s a team effort that sees guys like Marcus Johansson and Jason Chimera pouring in goals while Tomas Vokoun holds it down in goal. For Philly, it’s all about Claude Giroux offensively and Ilya Bryzgalov in goal to stop the opponents.
Making the game all the more fun is seeing Jaromir Jagr facing off against one of his former teams. Jagr has looked great this season and while we’re still waiting for the goals to come, he’s been a boon to their power play. The play of rookie Matt Read has also been a huge boost for the Flyers and he’s second on the team in points.
Washington’s success will be spurred on by the play of their blue line. Dennis Wideman and Mike Green have been playing like the point producers they’re meant to be while Karl Alzner has been a surprise. Also look out for former Flyer Mike Knuble as he’s had a great start to his season.
In the grand scheme of things this is just another game, but with both teams playing so well, this one will have a playoff-level intensity to it.
For the Washington perspective on things, CSNWashington.com’s Chase Hughes and Chuck Gormley break down tonight’s game.
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)