Oct 20, 2011, 9:02 AM EDT
It might be way too early to call tonight’s Caps-Flyers game an Eastern Conference finals preview, but anything’s possible and both teams head into tonight’s game playing as good as it gets this season. The Capitals are 5-0-0 while the Flyers are 4-0-1, both teams combining to earn 19 of a possible 20 points this season.
The juxtaposition of each team is great. The Caps are winning without Alex Ovechkin playing like one of the world’s best players. Instead it’s a team effort that sees guys like Marcus Johansson and Jason Chimera pouring in goals while Tomas Vokoun holds it down in goal. For Philly, it’s all about Claude Giroux offensively and Ilya Bryzgalov in goal to stop the opponents.
Making the game all the more fun is seeing Jaromir Jagr facing off against one of his former teams. Jagr has looked great this season and while we’re still waiting for the goals to come, he’s been a boon to their power play. The play of rookie Matt Read has also been a huge boost for the Flyers and he’s second on the team in points.
Washington’s success will be spurred on by the play of their blue line. Dennis Wideman and Mike Green have been playing like the point producers they’re meant to be while Karl Alzner has been a surprise. Also look out for former Flyer Mike Knuble as he’s had a great start to his season.
In the grand scheme of things this is just another game, but with both teams playing so well, this one will have a playoff-level intensity to it.
For the Washington perspective on things, CSNWashington.com’s Chase Hughes and Chuck Gormley break down tonight’s game.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53