Oct 20, 2011, 9:02 AM EDT
It might be way too early to call tonight’s Caps-Flyers game an Eastern Conference finals preview, but anything’s possible and both teams head into tonight’s game playing as good as it gets this season. The Capitals are 5-0-0 while the Flyers are 4-0-1, both teams combining to earn 19 of a possible 20 points this season.
The juxtaposition of each team is great. The Caps are winning without Alex Ovechkin playing like one of the world’s best players. Instead it’s a team effort that sees guys like Marcus Johansson and Jason Chimera pouring in goals while Tomas Vokoun holds it down in goal. For Philly, it’s all about Claude Giroux offensively and Ilya Bryzgalov in goal to stop the opponents.
Making the game all the more fun is seeing Jaromir Jagr facing off against one of his former teams. Jagr has looked great this season and while we’re still waiting for the goals to come, he’s been a boon to their power play. The play of rookie Matt Read has also been a huge boost for the Flyers and he’s second on the team in points.
Washington’s success will be spurred on by the play of their blue line. Dennis Wideman and Mike Green have been playing like the point producers they’re meant to be while Karl Alzner has been a surprise. Also look out for former Flyer Mike Knuble as he’s had a great start to his season.
In the grand scheme of things this is just another game, but with both teams playing so well, this one will have a playoff-level intensity to it.
For the Washington perspective on things, CSNWashington.com’s Chase Hughes and Chuck Gormley break down tonight’s game.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal