Oct 20, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
It was supposed to be a marquee matchup in Philly with the Flyers and Capitals. Instead, it was the Alex Ovechkin “welcome to the season” party.
Ovechkin scored two goals, including one on the power play, giving him three on the season as the Caps blew the game open in the third beating Philadelphia 5-2.
While Ilya Bryzgalov said he didn’t have a book on how to defend Ovechkin, he might want to study up a little more for their next meeting. Ovechkin doing what he does is the sort of thing that helped the Caps break out in a big way.
Tomas Vokoun didn’t do so bad either in his showdown with Bryzgalov stopping 40 shots and effectively destroying any further discussion about whether there should be a goalie controversy in Washington. Bryzgalov was perfectly mediocre stopping 23 shots.
In a game that came with a ton of buzz about it as a showdown between two of the East’s early top teams, it was the Capitals that flexed their muscles the most and made the Flyers hot start to the season seem fluke-ish with how bad they looked tonight. After all, the Flyers were able to help the Caps’ power play snap out of it for a night.
The Caps’ win now sets them up for a potential clash of the unbeatens on Saturday night when they’ll take on Detroit from Verizon Center.
Check out the ripper from Ovechkin tonight to beat Bryzgalov.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)