Oct 20, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
It was supposed to be a marquee matchup in Philly with the Flyers and Capitals. Instead, it was the Alex Ovechkin “welcome to the season” party.
Ovechkin scored two goals, including one on the power play, giving him three on the season as the Caps blew the game open in the third beating Philadelphia 5-2.
While Ilya Bryzgalov said he didn’t have a book on how to defend Ovechkin, he might want to study up a little more for their next meeting. Ovechkin doing what he does is the sort of thing that helped the Caps break out in a big way.
Tomas Vokoun didn’t do so bad either in his showdown with Bryzgalov stopping 40 shots and effectively destroying any further discussion about whether there should be a goalie controversy in Washington. Bryzgalov was perfectly mediocre stopping 23 shots.
In a game that came with a ton of buzz about it as a showdown between two of the East’s early top teams, it was the Capitals that flexed their muscles the most and made the Flyers hot start to the season seem fluke-ish with how bad they looked tonight. After all, the Flyers were able to help the Caps’ power play snap out of it for a night.
The Caps’ win now sets them up for a potential clash of the unbeatens on Saturday night when they’ll take on Detroit from Verizon Center.
Check out the ripper from Ovechkin tonight to beat Bryzgalov.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)