Oct 20, 2011, 9:50 PM EST
It was supposed to be a marquee matchup in Philly with the Flyers and Capitals. Instead, it was the Alex Ovechkin “welcome to the season” party.
Ovechkin scored two goals, including one on the power play, giving him three on the season as the Caps blew the game open in the third beating Philadelphia 5-2.
While Ilya Bryzgalov said he didn’t have a book on how to defend Ovechkin, he might want to study up a little more for their next meeting. Ovechkin doing what he does is the sort of thing that helped the Caps break out in a big way.
Tomas Vokoun didn’t do so bad either in his showdown with Bryzgalov stopping 40 shots and effectively destroying any further discussion about whether there should be a goalie controversy in Washington. Bryzgalov was perfectly mediocre stopping 23 shots.
In a game that came with a ton of buzz about it as a showdown between two of the East’s early top teams, it was the Capitals that flexed their muscles the most and made the Flyers hot start to the season seem fluke-ish with how bad they looked tonight. After all, the Flyers were able to help the Caps’ power play snap out of it for a night.
The Caps’ win now sets them up for a potential clash of the unbeatens on Saturday night when they’ll take on Detroit from Verizon Center.
Check out the ripper from Ovechkin tonight to beat Bryzgalov.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)