Oct 20, 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
When Philadelphia hosts the Washington Capitals tonight, Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov will be able to look up, see No. 8 on the other team, and know that it’s Alexander Ovechkin.
You know, the guy from Russia who peddles razors on TV.
“He’s Russian,” Bryzgalov replied when asked what he knows about Ovechkin, according to Tim Panaccio at csnphilly.com. “He wears No. 8. He signed a contract with Gillette.”
Right. Anything else?
“I never studied him (as a shooter),” Bryzgalov admitted. “I never had much experience to play against him. Only, I guess, two games. This whole [Eastern] conference is new to me.”
Oddly enough, Bryzgalov’s lack of knowledge might be an advantage tonight.
The Washington Post’s Tarik El-Bashir reported Monday that Caps coach Bruce Boudreau has been working with Ovechkin on becoming less predictable on the ice.
Ovechkin’s go-to move has been to carry the puck into the offensive zone from the left side, then cut hard into the high slot and use the defenseman as a screen. The past two seasons, defenders have been stepping up on him as an opposing forward applies pressure from the backside, often stripping him of the puck or forcing him into a low percentage shot.
That’s still happening too often and he’s still not using his linemates enough.
After the Montreal Canadiens shocked Washington in the first round of the 2010 playoffs, Habs defenseman Josh Gorges said what most Caps watchers already knew about Ovechkin’s tendencies.
“Generally, you know what’s coming,” Gorges said, as reported by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. “When he comes in on the off-wing, he’ll try to step to the middle and shoot through you. You can bait him into that.”
But Bryzgalov won’t know that. He’ll probably expect Ovechkin to do something crazy. Like pass the puck.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 5
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 7
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 15
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 2
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)