Oct 20, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
The Bruins aren’t scoring goals and they need to do something fast to try and spark things. Tonight against Toronto, they’ll roll out there with a brand new set of lines, a group that saw some work together during the Bruins’ 4-1 loss to Carolina the other night. After seeing the way Lucic and Horton (as well as David Krejci) played together in the playoffs last season, it seemed like the kind of trio that would work together forever. A new season has brought new issues, however, and with the Bruins averaging less than two goals per game, changes were necessary.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty breaks down the numbers that Horton and Lucic have put up together this season and they’re less than stellar.
The Bruins are 2-4 in their six games, last in the NHL in goal-scoring, and three points along with a minus-1 out of Horton and Lucic in 12 games. The struggles of Lucic and Horton might not be the biggest problem facing the Black and Gold in their first half-dozen games, but they’re clearly not part of the solution either.
That ain’t good and for Boston they’ll hope that Phil Kessel and the Leafs don’t make them look bad tonight. Potentially working in Boston’s favor is they’ll get to face Jonas Gustavsson in goal for Toronto. The Monster has yet to play this season so it’s an opportune time for the Bruins to snap out of their funk. The Bruins have to hope that Lucic and Horton aren’t too sad after their split. Breaking up is hard to do after all.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)