Oct 20, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
The Bruins aren’t scoring goals and they need to do something fast to try and spark things. Tonight against Toronto, they’ll roll out there with a brand new set of lines, a group that saw some work together during the Bruins’ 4-1 loss to Carolina the other night. After seeing the way Lucic and Horton (as well as David Krejci) played together in the playoffs last season, it seemed like the kind of trio that would work together forever. A new season has brought new issues, however, and with the Bruins averaging less than two goals per game, changes were necessary.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty breaks down the numbers that Horton and Lucic have put up together this season and they’re less than stellar.
The Bruins are 2-4 in their six games, last in the NHL in goal-scoring, and three points along with a minus-1 out of Horton and Lucic in 12 games. The struggles of Lucic and Horton might not be the biggest problem facing the Black and Gold in their first half-dozen games, but they’re clearly not part of the solution either.
That ain’t good and for Boston they’ll hope that Phil Kessel and the Leafs don’t make them look bad tonight. Potentially working in Boston’s favor is they’ll get to face Jonas Gustavsson in goal for Toronto. The Monster has yet to play this season so it’s an opportune time for the Bruins to snap out of their funk. The Bruins have to hope that Lucic and Horton aren’t too sad after their split. Breaking up is hard to do after all.
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 7
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 11
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)