Oct 20, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
The Bruins aren’t scoring goals and they need to do something fast to try and spark things. Tonight against Toronto, they’ll roll out there with a brand new set of lines, a group that saw some work together during the Bruins’ 4-1 loss to Carolina the other night. After seeing the way Lucic and Horton (as well as David Krejci) played together in the playoffs last season, it seemed like the kind of trio that would work together forever. A new season has brought new issues, however, and with the Bruins averaging less than two goals per game, changes were necessary.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty breaks down the numbers that Horton and Lucic have put up together this season and they’re less than stellar.
The Bruins are 2-4 in their six games, last in the NHL in goal-scoring, and three points along with a minus-1 out of Horton and Lucic in 12 games. The struggles of Lucic and Horton might not be the biggest problem facing the Black and Gold in their first half-dozen games, but they’re clearly not part of the solution either.
That ain’t good and for Boston they’ll hope that Phil Kessel and the Leafs don’t make them look bad tonight. Potentially working in Boston’s favor is they’ll get to face Jonas Gustavsson in goal for Toronto. The Monster has yet to play this season so it’s an opportune time for the Bruins to snap out of their funk. The Bruins have to hope that Lucic and Horton aren’t too sad after their split. Breaking up is hard to do after all.
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 14
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)