Oct 19, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
If you thought you knew what it was like to be suspended from the NHL and found it to be like detention in high school or even house arrest in real life, Philly’s Jody Shelley has another comparison for you to chew on.
Shelley’s suspension for a hit from behind in preseason has come to an end and he’s talking about what it’s like to be forced off the ice thanks to his own misgivings. Shelley tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that it’s like being sent to jail.
“It’s a lonely thing,” Shelley said. “You’re here, but you’re not playing. … You try and stay in shape. Today was a different day than yesterday knowing it was done.”
Loneliness and exercising, eh? I can assume there’s three square meals and a warden (wife? roommate? dog?) that keeps you in line on top of all that as well.
Shelley went on to say that getting used to Shanahan’s way of ruling the NHL is taking time to adjust to. Forgive us here for thinking so, but blasting a guy from behind when he’s not looking and totally defenseless shouldn’t take time to adjust to. Shelley’s been guilty of doing that enough in his career to know better. With how the Flyers have played without him in the lineup, if he doesn’t stop with the bad hits he’s going to be a fixture in the press box.
We’re guessing that the press box is more like a country club prison with all the soft pretzels, candy, and soda you can handle.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)