Oct 19, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
If you thought you knew what it was like to be suspended from the NHL and found it to be like detention in high school or even house arrest in real life, Philly’s Jody Shelley has another comparison for you to chew on.
Shelley’s suspension for a hit from behind in preseason has come to an end and he’s talking about what it’s like to be forced off the ice thanks to his own misgivings. Shelley tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that it’s like being sent to jail.
“It’s a lonely thing,” Shelley said. “You’re here, but you’re not playing. … You try and stay in shape. Today was a different day than yesterday knowing it was done.”
Loneliness and exercising, eh? I can assume there’s three square meals and a warden (wife? roommate? dog?) that keeps you in line on top of all that as well.
Shelley went on to say that getting used to Shanahan’s way of ruling the NHL is taking time to adjust to. Forgive us here for thinking so, but blasting a guy from behind when he’s not looking and totally defenseless shouldn’t take time to adjust to. Shelley’s been guilty of doing that enough in his career to know better. With how the Flyers have played without him in the lineup, if he doesn’t stop with the bad hits he’s going to be a fixture in the press box.
We’re guessing that the press box is more like a country club prison with all the soft pretzels, candy, and soda you can handle.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)