Oct 19, 2011, 12:41 AM EDT
Prior to the start of tonight’s game against the New York Rangers, the Vancouver Canucks had a video presentation honoring the life and times of Rick Rypien.
Rypien passed away this summer at his home in Alberta at the age of 27.
In addition to the video, the Canucks honored Rypien’s legacy with a $50,000 donation for a website designed to help young people deal with depression and other mental-health issues.
The Canucks also wore a commemorative patch for the game — “Ryp 37″ — that Jason wrote about earlier.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35