Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 AM EDT
It’s officially ugly in Ottawa.
Fresh off a 7-2 home drubbing at the hands of Philadelphia — the Sens have now allowed seven goals in two of their last three losses — Ottawa held a players-only meeting. We can only assume there was the usual airing of grievances (along with feats of strength and the raising of the Festivus pole) as the meeting was closed-door, but here’s what Sens head coach Paul MacLean had to say afterward:
“I think we stopped playing when they got that first goal and allowed them to get three more. We started playing in the second period when the pressure was off. We’re not very pleased at all and we need to have an evaluation of our team and how we play because we’re not doing it very well.
“We win as a team, we lose as a team and we’ll fix it as a team.”
Senators defenseman Chris Phillips offered up his own assessment:
“It was a wake-up call to all of us. We have to be more accountable, figure out what our identity is and be better to a man really. We can’t go home thinking ‘I had my guy and everyone else did a bad job.’ We have to take a long hard look at ourselves and figure out how we can be better and how each guy can help out the team more.
“It’s certainly not our intention and not what we wanted to happen. You wonder where it’s going wrong and what the problem is.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Sens respond to this latest blowout. The upcoming schedule does offer some relief, as Ottawa hosts Winnipeg and Columbus in its next two games.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)