Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 AM EDT
It’s officially ugly in Ottawa.
Fresh off a 7-2 home drubbing at the hands of Philadelphia — the Sens have now allowed seven goals in two of their last three losses — Ottawa held a players-only meeting. We can only assume there was the usual airing of grievances (along with feats of strength and the raising of the Festivus pole) as the meeting was closed-door, but here’s what Sens head coach Paul MacLean had to say afterward:
“I think we stopped playing when they got that first goal and allowed them to get three more. We started playing in the second period when the pressure was off. We’re not very pleased at all and we need to have an evaluation of our team and how we play because we’re not doing it very well.
“We win as a team, we lose as a team and we’ll fix it as a team.”
Senators defenseman Chris Phillips offered up his own assessment:
“It was a wake-up call to all of us. We have to be more accountable, figure out what our identity is and be better to a man really. We can’t go home thinking ‘I had my guy and everyone else did a bad job.’ We have to take a long hard look at ourselves and figure out how we can be better and how each guy can help out the team more.
“It’s certainly not our intention and not what we wanted to happen. You wonder where it’s going wrong and what the problem is.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Sens respond to this latest blowout. The upcoming schedule does offer some relief, as Ottawa hosts Winnipeg and Columbus in its next two games.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)