Oct 19, 2011, 12:10 AM EST
It’s officially ugly in Ottawa.
Fresh off a 7-2 home drubbing at the hands of Philadelphia — the Sens have now allowed seven goals in two of their last three losses — Ottawa held a players-only meeting. We can only assume there was the usual airing of grievances (along with feats of strength and the raising of the Festivus pole) as the meeting was closed-door, but here’s what Sens head coach Paul MacLean had to say afterward:
“I think we stopped playing when they got that first goal and allowed them to get three more. We started playing in the second period when the pressure was off. We’re not very pleased at all and we need to have an evaluation of our team and how we play because we’re not doing it very well.
“We win as a team, we lose as a team and we’ll fix it as a team.”
Senators defenseman Chris Phillips offered up his own assessment:
“It was a wake-up call to all of us. We have to be more accountable, figure out what our identity is and be better to a man really. We can’t go home thinking ‘I had my guy and everyone else did a bad job.’ We have to take a long hard look at ourselves and figure out how we can be better and how each guy can help out the team more.
“It’s certainly not our intention and not what we wanted to happen. You wonder where it’s going wrong and what the problem is.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Sens respond to this latest blowout. The upcoming schedule does offer some relief, as Ottawa hosts Winnipeg and Columbus in its next two games.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 16
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)