Oct 19, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
Stereotypes can often get people into trouble so we’ll dance carefully around that when we say the Minnesota Wild’s fan giveaway last night was rather… Locally unique. Minnesota fans got to take home blaze orange Wild baseball caps last night that helped make the crowd look more like a lost hunting party than a pack of hockey fans.
The caps from Gander Mountain, a company specializing in outdoor clothing, helped Wild fans fulfill a special Minnesota-brand of stereotype that while they love hockey, they’d happily take up the rod and reel or rifle on a weekend away.
Take a look at how these bad boys stand out in the crowd in these highlights from last night’s game against Pittsburgh.
We’re hoping that more teams will do locally creative giveaways like this. Bring us “Cheesesteak Night” in Philly, a car giveaway in Detroit (aim high, people), a “Date with a Hollywood star” in Los Angeles (ladies, here’s your chance to land Jon Hamm), or even “Pet a Panther” night in Florida.
Of course, they could have that happen accidentally in Ohio these days. Let’s just skip that one.
It’s a cool thing the Wild did in giving away something that both works for the hunter in your family as well as kids who are really fired up for Halloween. Blaze orange hasn’t been this fun since the 1990s or so noticeable since last hunting season.
(Photo courtesy of Wild PR guru Ryan Stanzel on Twitter)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 14
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)