Oct 19, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
Stereotypes can often get people into trouble so we’ll dance carefully around that when we say the Minnesota Wild’s fan giveaway last night was rather… Locally unique. Minnesota fans got to take home blaze orange Wild baseball caps last night that helped make the crowd look more like a lost hunting party than a pack of hockey fans.
The caps from Gander Mountain, a company specializing in outdoor clothing, helped Wild fans fulfill a special Minnesota-brand of stereotype that while they love hockey, they’d happily take up the rod and reel or rifle on a weekend away.
Take a look at how these bad boys stand out in the crowd in these highlights from last night’s game against Pittsburgh.
We’re hoping that more teams will do locally creative giveaways like this. Bring us “Cheesesteak Night” in Philly, a car giveaway in Detroit (aim high, people), a “Date with a Hollywood star” in Los Angeles (ladies, here’s your chance to land Jon Hamm), or even “Pet a Panther” night in Florida.
Of course, they could have that happen accidentally in Ohio these days. Let’s just skip that one.
It’s a cool thing the Wild did in giving away something that both works for the hunter in your family as well as kids who are really fired up for Halloween. Blaze orange hasn’t been this fun since the 1990s or so noticeable since last hunting season.
(Photo courtesy of Wild PR guru Ryan Stanzel on Twitter)
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)