Oct 19, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
Stereotypes can often get people into trouble so we’ll dance carefully around that when we say the Minnesota Wild’s fan giveaway last night was rather… Locally unique. Minnesota fans got to take home blaze orange Wild baseball caps last night that helped make the crowd look more like a lost hunting party than a pack of hockey fans.
The caps from Gander Mountain, a company specializing in outdoor clothing, helped Wild fans fulfill a special Minnesota-brand of stereotype that while they love hockey, they’d happily take up the rod and reel or rifle on a weekend away.
Take a look at how these bad boys stand out in the crowd in these highlights from last night’s game against Pittsburgh.
We’re hoping that more teams will do locally creative giveaways like this. Bring us “Cheesesteak Night” in Philly, a car giveaway in Detroit (aim high, people), a “Date with a Hollywood star” in Los Angeles (ladies, here’s your chance to land Jon Hamm), or even “Pet a Panther” night in Florida.
Of course, they could have that happen accidentally in Ohio these days. Let’s just skip that one.
It’s a cool thing the Wild did in giving away something that both works for the hunter in your family as well as kids who are really fired up for Halloween. Blaze orange hasn’t been this fun since the 1990s or so noticeable since last hunting season.
(Photo courtesy of Wild PR guru Ryan Stanzel on Twitter)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)