Oct 19, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
Stereotypes can often get people into trouble so we’ll dance carefully around that when we say the Minnesota Wild’s fan giveaway last night was rather… Locally unique. Minnesota fans got to take home blaze orange Wild baseball caps last night that helped make the crowd look more like a lost hunting party than a pack of hockey fans.
The caps from Gander Mountain, a company specializing in outdoor clothing, helped Wild fans fulfill a special Minnesota-brand of stereotype that while they love hockey, they’d happily take up the rod and reel or rifle on a weekend away.
Take a look at how these bad boys stand out in the crowd in these highlights from last night’s game against Pittsburgh.
We’re hoping that more teams will do locally creative giveaways like this. Bring us “Cheesesteak Night” in Philly, a car giveaway in Detroit (aim high, people), a “Date with a Hollywood star” in Los Angeles (ladies, here’s your chance to land Jon Hamm), or even “Pet a Panther” night in Florida.
Of course, they could have that happen accidentally in Ohio these days. Let’s just skip that one.
It’s a cool thing the Wild did in giving away something that both works for the hunter in your family as well as kids who are really fired up for Halloween. Blaze orange hasn’t been this fun since the 1990s or so noticeable since last hunting season.
(Photo courtesy of Wild PR guru Ryan Stanzel on Twitter)
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing near Stars bench (update) 4
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 5
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)