Oct 19, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Phil Kessel‘s month of October is the kind of thing that will get Toronto fans overly excited about what their future holds. This time around, the excitement makes a world of sense. Kessel continued his hot month against Winnipeg tonight scoring a goal and setting up Joffrey Lupul for a camera-smashing beauty on the way to a 4-3 shootout win in Toronto.
Kessel’s two points against the Jets helped extend his early points lead to three on L.A.’s Anze Kopitar and his seventh goal of the year puts him on top of the league lead one ahead of James Neal. While Kessel has had a history of great Octobers in the past followed up by slumps or injuries, the Leafs are hoping this time around it turns into a monster season and a run into the playoffs.
We know that Kessel is going to cool off at some point, it’s inevitable and shooting 33.3% all year is virtually impossible to do for a guy that shoots that much, but for now Kessel is putting on an electric show in Toronto. With the Leafs facing the Bruins tomorrow night, will the “Thank you Kessel” chants be coming from Bruins fans or Leafs fans? Here’s to hoping Kessel and Tyler Seguin get to one-up one another all game long.
Here’s video of Kessel and Joffrey Lupul scoring back-to-back in 27 seconds to tie the game up in the third.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)