Oct 19, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Phil Kessel‘s month of October is the kind of thing that will get Toronto fans overly excited about what their future holds. This time around, the excitement makes a world of sense. Kessel continued his hot month against Winnipeg tonight scoring a goal and setting up Joffrey Lupul for a camera-smashing beauty on the way to a 4-3 shootout win in Toronto.
Kessel’s two points against the Jets helped extend his early points lead to three on L.A.’s Anze Kopitar and his seventh goal of the year puts him on top of the league lead one ahead of James Neal. While Kessel has had a history of great Octobers in the past followed up by slumps or injuries, the Leafs are hoping this time around it turns into a monster season and a run into the playoffs.
We know that Kessel is going to cool off at some point, it’s inevitable and shooting 33.3% all year is virtually impossible to do for a guy that shoots that much, but for now Kessel is putting on an electric show in Toronto. With the Leafs facing the Bruins tomorrow night, will the “Thank you Kessel” chants be coming from Bruins fans or Leafs fans? Here’s to hoping Kessel and Tyler Seguin get to one-up one another all game long.
Here’s video of Kessel and Joffrey Lupul scoring back-to-back in 27 seconds to tie the game up in the third.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)