Oct 19, 2011, 11:13 PM EST
Phil Kessel‘s month of October is the kind of thing that will get Toronto fans overly excited about what their future holds. This time around, the excitement makes a world of sense. Kessel continued his hot month against Winnipeg tonight scoring a goal and setting up Joffrey Lupul for a camera-smashing beauty on the way to a 4-3 shootout win in Toronto.
Kessel’s two points against the Jets helped extend his early points lead to three on L.A.’s Anze Kopitar and his seventh goal of the year puts him on top of the league lead one ahead of James Neal. While Kessel has had a history of great Octobers in the past followed up by slumps or injuries, the Leafs are hoping this time around it turns into a monster season and a run into the playoffs.
We know that Kessel is going to cool off at some point, it’s inevitable and shooting 33.3% all year is virtually impossible to do for a guy that shoots that much, but for now Kessel is putting on an electric show in Toronto. With the Leafs facing the Bruins tomorrow night, will the “Thank you Kessel” chants be coming from Bruins fans or Leafs fans? Here’s to hoping Kessel and Tyler Seguin get to one-up one another all game long.
Here’s video of Kessel and Joffrey Lupul scoring back-to-back in 27 seconds to tie the game up in the third.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12