Oct 19, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Phil Kessel‘s month of October is the kind of thing that will get Toronto fans overly excited about what their future holds. This time around, the excitement makes a world of sense. Kessel continued his hot month against Winnipeg tonight scoring a goal and setting up Joffrey Lupul for a camera-smashing beauty on the way to a 4-3 shootout win in Toronto.
Kessel’s two points against the Jets helped extend his early points lead to three on L.A.’s Anze Kopitar and his seventh goal of the year puts him on top of the league lead one ahead of James Neal. While Kessel has had a history of great Octobers in the past followed up by slumps or injuries, the Leafs are hoping this time around it turns into a monster season and a run into the playoffs.
We know that Kessel is going to cool off at some point, it’s inevitable and shooting 33.3% all year is virtually impossible to do for a guy that shoots that much, but for now Kessel is putting on an electric show in Toronto. With the Leafs facing the Bruins tomorrow night, will the “Thank you Kessel” chants be coming from Bruins fans or Leafs fans? Here’s to hoping Kessel and Tyler Seguin get to one-up one another all game long.
Here’s video of Kessel and Joffrey Lupul scoring back-to-back in 27 seconds to tie the game up in the third.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)